Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH V3 14/17] ppc/pci: create/release dev-tree node for VFs

From: Wei Yang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 17:42:02 +0800

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 09:30:47AM +0100, Grant Likely wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 3:46 AM, Wei Yang <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 07:26:27PM +0100, Grant Likely wrote:
>>>On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 2:56 AM, Wei Yang <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>> Currently, powernv platform is not aware of VFs. This means no dev-node
>>>> represents a VF. Also, VF PCI device is created when PF driver want to enable
>>>> it. This leads to the pdn->pdev and pdn->pe_number an invalid value.
>>>>
>>>> This patch create/release dev-node for VF and fixs this when a VF's pci_dev
>>>> is created.
>>>>
>>>> Signed-off-by: Wei Yang <[email-masked]>
>>>
>>>I don't think this is the right way to handle this. Unless it is a
>>>fixup to a buggy devicetree provided by firmware, I don't want to see
>>>any code modifying the devicetree to describe stuff that is able to be
>>>directly enumerated. Really the pci code should handle the lack of a
>>>device_node gracefully. If it cannot then it should be fixed.
>>
>> Grant,
>>
>> Glad to see your comment.
>>
>> I will fix this in the firmware.
>
>That's not really what I meant. The kernel should be able to deal with
>virtual functions even if firmware doesn't know how, and the kernel
>should not require modifying the device tree to support them.
>
>I'm saying fix the kernel so that a device node is not necessary for
>virtual functions.

oh, sorry for my poor understanding. Let me do some investigation to see
whether it is fine to get rid of device node for vfs.

>g.

-- 
Richard Yang
Help you, Help me