Subject: powerpc: crash with 3.16.0-rc2

From: Sukadev Bhattiprolu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 23:10:15 -0700

I got the following crash in Open Firmware, on two separate systems
with recent mainline kernel (3.16.0-rc2). One was a P8 LPAR with no
changes to kernel and another a Power7 LPAR with some kernel changes
(24x7 perf counter patches). I will backout the patches and try but
wanted to check if there is some config change I am missing.

I am also attaching the config file (which is based on a 3.14
kernel that boots ok).

---
OF stdout device is: /vdevice/vty@30000000
Preparing to boot Linux version 3.16.0-rc2-unwind+ (root@saturn-lp2) (gcc version 4.8.2 20131212 (Red Hat 4.8.2-7) (GCC) ) #5 SMP Thu Jun 26 00:01:47 CDT 2014
Detected machine type: 0000000000000101
Max number of cores passed to firmware: 256 (NR_CPUS = 1024)
Calling ibm,client-architecture-support... done
command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinux-3.16.0-rc2-unwind root=UUID=017d60b7-9db9-4d91-9dc8-4e6f91b0ed40 ro biosdevname=0 vconsole.font=latarcyrheb-sun16
memory layout at init:
  memory_limit : 0000000000000000 (16 MB aligned)
  alloc_bottom : 0000000005530000
  alloc_top    : 0000000010000000
  alloc_top_hi : 0000000010000000
  rmo_top      : 0000000010000000
  ram_top      : 0000000010000000
instantiating rtas at 0x000000000ee90000... done
Querying for OPAL presence... not there.
DEFAULT CATCH!, exception-handler=fff00700 
at   %SRR0: 0000000004133064   %SRR1: 8000000000081002 
Open Firmware exception handler entered from non-OF code

Client's Fix Pt Regs:
 00 0000000004133030 0000000004133018 00000000047b1b28 0000000000000002
 04 0000000028005024 00000000047b1b28 0000000000001002 0000000004132f18
 08 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000004132f18 0000000000001002
 0c a000000000000001 0000000000000000 0000000001a3fd20 000000000401bb70
 10 000000000401c030 000000000401bd70 fffffffffffffffd 0000000001a3fd20
 14 0000000001b49080 000000000ee90000 0000000001170000 000000000ee90000
 18 000000000401c510 0000000003690000 000000000401bb28 0000000004193da0
 1c 0000000001a3fd60 794927e391410070 e87f0000408204cc 3cc2ff8b38c629d8
Special Regs:
    %IV: 00000700     %CR: 28005022    %XER: 00000000  %DSISR: 42000000 
  %SRR0: 0000000004133064   %SRR1: 8000000000081002 
    %LR: 0000000004133030    %CTR: 0000000000000000 
   %DAR: 01a3fcf00020b4ac 
Virtual PID = 0 
 ok