Subject: Re: [PATCH V7 00/17] Enable SRIOV on POWER8

From: Wei Yang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 16:41:56 +0800

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 07:52:16AM -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 3:00 AM, Wei Yang <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 02, 2014 at 09:59:43AM -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
>...
>>>I haven't seen any more on this series, and I'm assuming you'll post a
>>>rebased series (maybe you're waiting for v3.18-rc1?).  I'm just checking to
>>>make sure you're not waiting for something from me...
>>>
>>
>> Hi, Bjorn
>>
>> Haven't seen you for a long time :-) I am just back from vocation and the mail
>> box doesn't work well for previous two days.
>>
>> Yep, I am rebasing the code on top of v3.17, is this fine for you?
>
>When I apply your patches, they will be on a branch based on
>v3.18-rc1, so the easiest thing for me would be if you generate them
>from that base.  Here's why:
>
>  - Linus released v3.17 on Oct 5, 2014
>  - Merge window for v3.18 opened when v3.17 released
>  - All changes intended for v3.18 will be merged during window
>(theoretically, at least)
>  - Merge window closes when Linus releases v3.18-rc1 (probably Oct 19 or 26)
>
>Your changes will miss the v3.18 merge window, so the next chance to
>merge them will be during the v3.19 merge window that opens when v3.18
>releases.  v3.18-rc1 is a close approximation of what v3.18 will
>eventually be, so rebasing to v3.18-rc1 will minimize merge conflicts
>when we eventually merge your changes on top of v3.18.
>
>v3.18-rc1 isn't out yet, but if you rebase to the current head of
>Linus' tree, that should be fairly close.  The PCI changes are already
>in (80213c03c415), and at least some of the powerpc changes are in
>(fd9879b9bb32).
>

Thanks for your explanation. I will do some rebase and test on v3.17. Then
rebase it on v3.18-rc1 when it is released.

And finally give you the one on v3.18-rc1.

>Bjorn

-- 
Richard Yang
Help you, Help me