Subject: [PATCH] slab: Fix nodeid bounds check for non-contiguous node IDs

From: Paul Mackerras <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 09:16:07 +1100

The bounds check for nodeid in ____cache_alloc_node gives false
positives on machines where the node IDs are not contiguous, leading
to a panic at boot time.  For example, on a POWER8 machine the node
IDs are typically 0, 1, 16 and 17.  This means that num_online_nodes()
returns 4, so when ____cache_alloc_node is called with nodeid = 16 the
VM_BUG_ON triggers.

To fix this, we instead compare the nodeid with MAX_NUMNODES, and
additionally make sure it isn't negative (since nodeid is an int).
The check is there mainly to protect the array dereference in the
get_node() call in the next line, and the array being dereferenced is
of size MAX_NUMNODES.  If the nodeid is in range but invalid, the
BUG_ON in the next line will catch that.

Signed-off-by: Paul Mackerras <[email-masked]>
---
diff --git a/mm/slab.c b/mm/slab.c
index eb2b2ea..f34e053 100644
--- a/mm/slab.c
+++ b/mm/slab.c
@@ -3076,7 +3076,7 @@ static void *____cache_alloc_node(struct kmem_cache *cachep, gfp_t flags,
 	void *obj;
 	int x;
 
-	VM_BUG_ON(nodeid > num_online_nodes());
+	VM_BUG_ON(nodeid < 0 || nodeid >= MAX_NUMNODES);
 	n = get_node(cachep, nodeid);
 	BUG_ON(!n);