Subject: Re: [PATCH V2 06/12] selftests, powerpc: Add test for system wide DSCR default

From: Dave Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 16:40:33 -0500

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 10:44:31AM +1100, Michael Ellerman wrote:

 > > Also, I would like to see the test results reports using
 > > kselftest.h - it can be separate patch in the interest of
 > > getting tests in.
 > 
 > Sorry but kselftest.h doesn't do anything useful for us.
 > 
 > We have existing test reporting that uses the subunit protocol.
 > 
 > I'm happy to convert that to TAP, or some other well defined output format, but
 > not to something ad-hoc like kselftest.h currently provides.

Something TAP-alike would also help reduce some of the spew from
tests that are going to fail.

eg, running execveat tests on a kernel that doesn't implement that
syscall currently spews around 20 lines of [FAIL].  Adding something
to the beginning of the test to set plan() accordingly if it detects
-ENOSYS could make that output a little cleaner.

That other projects (like jenkins, bug trackers etc) could consume
the output of the test runs would be a nice bonus.  I only recently
started looking at kselftests and was surprised at the amount
of variance we have in the way of printing 'Ok' '[OK]' 'ok...' etc.

	Dave