Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] perf/e6500: Make event translations available in sysfs

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 11:07:38 +0100

* Peter Zijlstra <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 06, 2015 at 04:43:54PM -0600, Tom Huynh wrote:
> >  arch/powerpc/perf/e6500-events-list.h         | 289 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> 
> That's a lot of events to stuff in the kernel, would a 
> userspace list not be more convenient?
> 
> ISTR there being various discussions on providing support 
> for that in tools/perf, Jiri?

As long as it's in a single well organized place in tools/, 
I'd be fine with that solution as well.

What doesn't work very well is disjunct, disorganized, 
inconsistent event descriptions all across the tooling and 
platform landscape - putting static tables into sysfs is a 
marked improvement over that, despite its memory usage.

Thanks,

	Ingo