Subject: Re: 'perf upgrade' (was: Re: [PATCH v9 00/11] Add support for JSON event files.)

From: Andi Kleen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 13:16:43 -0700

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 10:55:41AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> 
> * Sukadev Bhattiprolu <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > This is another attempt to resurrect Andi Kleen's patchset so users
> > can specify perf events by their event names rather than raw codes.
> > 
> > This is a rebase of Andi Kleen's patchset from Jul 30, 2014[1] to 4.0.
> > (I fixed minor and not so minor conflicts).
> 
> So this series shows some progress, but instead of this limited 
> checkout ability I'd still prefer it if 'perf download' downloaded the 
> latest perf code itself and built it - it shouldn't be limited to just 
> a small subset of the perf source code!

I'm not against that idea (and can see it being useful in some cases[1]), 
but this would need some authentication. 

Otherwise it would be a "$bigbrother/nsa/anyone controling your network
can run everything on your computer" style hole.

The original JSON files don't have this problem because they didn't contain
any code.

-Andi

[1] especially to work around the broken perf setup on d./u. distros.