Subject: [PATCH 0/6] drivers/nx-842: reduce verbosity of logging

From: Nishanth Aravamudan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 15:38:00 -0700

Currently, on a LPAR with the nx-842 device disabled, the following
messages are emitted:

nx_compress: no nx842 driver found. [1]
Registering IBM Power 842 compression driver
nx_compress_pseries ibm,compression-v1: nx842_OF_upd_status: status 'disabled' is not 'okay'
nx_compress_pseries ibm,compression-v1: nx842_OF_upd: max_sync_size new:4096 old:0 [2]
nx_compress_pseries ibm,compression-v1: nx842_OF_upd: max_sync_sg new:510 old:0
nx_compress_pseries ibm,compression-v1: nx842_OF_upd: max_sg_len new:4080 old:0
nx_compress_powernv: loading [3]
nx_compress_powernv: no coprocessors found
alg: No test for 842 (842-nx) [4]

[1] is the result of an ordering issue when the CONFIG_ options are set =y. [2]
is the result of nx842_OF_upd_status() not returning the correct error code.
[3] is the result of attempting to load the PowerNV platform driver on a
non-PowerNV platform. [4] is the result of there simply not being any test for
842 in the crypto test manager.

After the changes in the series, the same system as above emits:

Registering IBM Power 842 compression driver
nx_compress_pseries ibm,compression-v1: nx842_OF_upd: device disabled

which seems to me, at least, to be far clearer.

Dan, I think there is still a issue in the code. If CONFIG_DEV_NX_COMPRESS=y
and CONFIG_DEV_NX_COMPRESS_PSERIES=m/CONFIG_DEV_NX_COMPRESS_POWERNV=m, it seems
like the request_module() is not working properly and we simply get a "
nx_compress: no nx842 driver found." at boot (even if I ensure the platform
drivers are in the initrd). If I make CONFIG_DEV_NX_COMPRESS=m, though, the
module(s) load successfully. Does it make sense/is it possible to have these
three symbols always be the same (either all =y or all =m)?

[1/6] crypto/nx-842-pseries: nx842_OF_upd_status should return ENODEV if device is not 'okay'
 drivers/crypto/nx/nx-842-pseries.c | 3 ++-
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)
[2/6] nx-842-pseries: rename nx842_{init,exit} to nx842_pseries_{init,exit}
 drivers/crypto/nx/nx-842-pseries.c | 8 ++++----
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)
[3/6] nx-842-pseries: do not emit extra output if status is disabled
 drivers/crypto/nx/nx-842-pseries.c | 8 +++++++-
 1 file changed, 7 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)
[4/6] crypto/nx-842-{powerpc,pseries}: only load on the appropriate machine type
 drivers/crypto/nx/nx-842-powernv.c | 6 ++++++
 drivers/crypto/nx/nx-842-pseries.c | 6 ++++++
 drivers/crypto/nx/nx-842.h         | 1 +
 3 files changed, 13 insertions(+)
[5/6] crypto/testmgr: add null test for 842 algorithm
 crypto/testmgr.c | 3 +++
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+)
[6/6] nx-842-platform: if NX842 platform drivers are not modules, don't try to load them
 drivers/crypto/nx/nx-842-platform.c | 13 ++++++++++++-
 1 file changed, 12 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)