Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/27] Export I2C and OF module aliases in missing drivers

From: Dmitry Torokhov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 09:35:17 -0700

Hi Javier,

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 06:18:25PM +0200, Javier Martinez Canillas wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> Short version:
> 
> This series add the missing MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE() for OF and I2C tables
> to export that information so modules have the correct aliases built-in
> and autoloading works correctly.
> 
> Longer version:
> 
> Currently it's mandatory for I2C drivers to have an I2C device ID table
> regardless if the device was registered using platform data or OF. This
> is because the I2C core needs an I2C device ID table for two reasons:
> 
> 1) Match the I2C client with a I2C device ID so a struct i2c_device_id
>    is passed to the I2C driver probe() function.
> 
> 2) Export the module aliases from the I2C device ID table so userspace
>    can auto-load the correct module. This is because i2c_device_uevent
>    always reports a MODALIAS of the form i2c:<client->name>.

Why are we not fixing this? We emit specially carved uevent for
ACPI-based devices, why not the same for OF? Platform bus does this...

Thanks.

-- 
Dmitry