Subject: Re: [22/27] macintosh: therm_windtunnel: Export OF module alias information

From: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 18:38:13 +1000 (AEST)

On Thu, 2015-30-07 at 16:18:47 UTC, Javier Martinez Canillas wrote:
> The I2C core always reports the MODALIAS uevent as "i2c:<client name"
> regardless if the driver was matched using the I2C id_table or the
> of_match_table. So technically there's no need for a driver to export
> the OF table since currently it's not used.
> 
> In fact, the I2C device ID table is mandatory for I2C drivers since
> a i2c_device_id is passed to the driver's probe function even if the
> I2C core used the OF table to match the driver.
> 
> And since the I2C core uses different tables, OF-only drivers needs to
> have duplicated data that has to be kept in sync and also the dev node
> compatible manufacturer prefix is stripped when reporting the MODALIAS.
> 
> To avoid the above, the I2C core behavior may be changed in the future
> to not require an I2C device table for OF-only drivers and report the
> OF module alias. So, it's better to also export the OF table to prevent
> breaking module autoloading if that happens.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Javier Martinez Canillas <[email-masked]>

Applied to powerpc next, thanks.

https://git.kernel.org/powerpc/c/a1a42b7920ba57f287d7

cheers