Subject: Re: [PATCH V3] powerpc: Implement {cmp}xchg for u8 and u16

From: Peter Zijlstra <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 18:13:54 +0200

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 11:35:07PM +0800, Pan Xinhui wrote:
> yes, you are right. more load/store will be done in C code.
> However such xchg_u8/u16 is just used by qspinlock now. and I did not see any performance regression.
> So just wrote in C, for simple. :)

Which is fine; but worthy of a note in your Changelog.

> Of course I have done xchg tests.
> we run code just like xchg((u8*)&v, j++); in several threads.
> and the result is,
> [  768.374264] use time[1550072]ns in xchg_u8_asm
> [  768.377102] use time[2826802]ns in xchg_u8_c
> 
> I think this is because there is one more load in C.
> If possible, we can move such code in asm-generic/.

So I'm not actually _that_ familiar with the PPC LL/SC implementation;
but there are things a CPU can do to optimize these loops.

For example, a CPU might choose to not release the exclusive hold of the
line for a number of cycles, except when it passes SC or an interrupt
happens. This way there's a smaller chance the SC fails and inhibits
forward progress.

By doing the modification outside of the LL/SC you loose such
advantages.

And yes, doing a !exclusive load prior to the exclusive load leads to an
even bigger window where the data can get changed out from under you.