Subject: [PATCH v3 00/21] Consistent TM structures

From: Cyril Bur <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 13:43:02 +1000

V3:
In v2 the MSR_{FP,VEC,VSX} bits were left on (if in use) after a
reclaim which meant that signal code did the correct thing.
This also meant that the bits would stay on when a (transactional)
thread was not running and ptrace flush code would notice that tasks
not current have MSR_{FP,VEC,VSX} set when attempting to flush, this
is incorrect. The correct solution was to have the signal code make
decisions about the use of FP,VEC or VSX by observing the checkpointed
MSR and not the regs->msr. This meant adding another reference to
current in signal code which was getting messy.
Patch "powerpc: signals: Stop using current in signal code" addresses
this and allows for a cleaner fix.

Fix build issues for 32bit.

V2 Coverletter:

This series has grown considerably from v1.

Similarities with v1 include:
- Selftests are all the same, they have simply been split into several
  patches with comments from MPE and Daniel Axtens incorporated. It
  is possible some things slipped through the cracks selftest wise as
  the focus has been on the final three patches.
- The final three patches have been reworked following extra testing
  and from review by Simon Guo.

Differences include:
- Patches 2-5 are fixes for existing problems found in the course of
  verifying the final three patches. In the case of "powerpc: Never
  giveup a reclaimed thread when enabling kernel {fp, altivec, vsx}"
  it has proven difficult to narrow down when the bug was introduced.
  It does not exist in 3.8 when TM was introduced but does exist in 4.4.
  I was unable to boot 3.13 (or 3.12) in an attempt to further bisect.
- As ptrace code was merged between v1 and v2, work was needed there
  to make it fit in with the final three patches.

The overall aim of this series may have gotten lost here. The final
three patches are the goal here.

Cyril Bur (21):
  selftests/powerpc: Compile selftests against headers without AT_HWCAP2
  powerpc: Always restore FPU/VEC/VSX if hardware transactional memory
    in use
  powerpc: Add check_if_tm_restore_required() to giveup_all()
  powerpc: Return the new MSR from msr_check_and_set()
  powerpc: Never giveup a reclaimed thread when enabling kernel {fp,
    altivec, vsx}
  powerpc: signals: Stop using current in signal code
  selftests/powerpc: Check for VSX preservation across userspace
    preemption
  selftests/powerpc: Rework FPU stack placement macros and move to
    header file
  selftests/powerpc: Move VMX stack frame macros to header file
  selftests/powerpc: Introduce GPR asm helper header file
  selftests/powerpc: Add transactional memory defines
  selftests/powerpc: Allow tests to extend their kill timeout
  selftests/powerpc: Add TM tcheck helpers in C
  selftests/powerpc: Check that signals always get delivered
  selftests/powerpc: Add checks for transactional GPRs in signal
    contexts
  selftests/powerpc: Add checks for transactional FPUs in signal
    contexts
  selftests/powerpc: Add checks for transactional VMXs in signal
    contexts
  selftests/powerpc: Add checks for transactional VSXs in signal
    contexts
  powerpc: tm: Always use fp_state and vr_state to store live registers
  powerpc: tm: Rename transct_(*) to ck(\1)_state
  powerpc: Remove do_load_up_transact_{fpu,altivec}

 arch/powerpc/include/asm/processor.h               |  15 +-
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/reg.h                     |   2 +-
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/signal.h                  |   2 -
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/tm.h                      |   5 -
 arch/powerpc/kernel/asm-offsets.c                  |  12 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/fpu.S                          |  26 --
 arch/powerpc/kernel/process.c                      | 152 +++++------
 arch/powerpc/kernel/ptrace.c                       | 278 +++++----------------
 arch/powerpc/kernel/signal.c                       |  41 +--
 arch/powerpc/kernel/signal.h                       |  18 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/signal_32.c                    | 115 ++++-----
 arch/powerpc/kernel/signal_64.c                    | 194 +++++++-------
 arch/powerpc/kernel/tm.S                           |  94 +++----
 arch/powerpc/kernel/traps.c                        |  12 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/vector.S                       |  25 --
 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/Makefile           |   1 +
 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/basic_asm.h        |   4 +
 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/fpu_asm.h          |  81 ++++++
 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/gpr_asm.h          |  96 +++++++
 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/harness.c          |   9 +-
 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/math/Makefile      |   4 +-
 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/math/fpu_asm.S     |  73 +-----
 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/math/vmx_asm.S     |  85 +------
 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/math/vsx_asm.S     |  61 +++++
 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/math/vsx_preempt.c | 147 +++++++++++
 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/signal/Makefile    |  12 +
 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/signal/signal.S    |  50 ++++
 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/signal/signal.c    | 111 ++++++++
 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/signal/signal_tm.c | 110 ++++++++
 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/tm/Makefile        |   8 +-
 .../powerpc/tm/tm-signal-context-chk-fpu.c         |  92 +++++++
 .../powerpc/tm/tm-signal-context-chk-gpr.c         |  90 +++++++
 .../powerpc/tm/tm-signal-context-chk-vmx.c         | 110 ++++++++
 .../powerpc/tm/tm-signal-context-chk-vsx.c         | 125 +++++++++
 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/tm/tm-signal.S     | 114 +++++++++
 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/tm/tm.h            |  27 ++
 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/utils.h            |   9 +-
 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/vmx_asm.h          |  98 ++++++++
 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/vsx_asm.h          |  71 ++++++
 39 files changed, 1848 insertions(+), 731 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/fpu_asm.h
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/gpr_asm.h
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/math/vsx_asm.S
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/math/vsx_preempt.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/signal/Makefile
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/signal/signal.S
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/signal/signal.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/signal/signal_tm.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/tm/tm-signal-context-chk-fpu.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/tm/tm-signal-context-chk-gpr.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/tm/tm-signal-context-chk-vmx.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/tm/tm-signal-context-chk-vsx.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/tm/tm-signal.S
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/vmx_asm.h
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/vsx_asm.h

-- 
2.9.3