Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] minor build fixes

From: Alan Modra <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 09:33:20 +1030

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 12:02:06AM +1100, Nicholas Piggin wrote:
> I was building BookE and big endian with a little endian cross
> compiler and it stopped working. My BookS BE tests must have been
> building using the ELFv2 ABI. After this, the build sometimes still
> strangely fails with dot symbols in syscall table unable to be found,
> but that's looking like it may be a linker bug (Alan is going to take
> a look).

Yes it is a bug.  In compatibility code that was supposed to handle
mixing old object files that use dot-symbols on function entry with
newer object files that don't.  Here, "old" means mid 2004 or
earlier.

As you can imagine, I'm not hugely concerned about the ld bug..

Since every binutils back to at least 2.17 has the bug, what changed
in the kernel to expose it?  Are you building without -mcall-aixdesc?

-- 
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM