Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] powerpc: Blacklist GCC 5.4 6.1 and 6.2

From: Segher Boessenkool <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 19:49:16 -0600

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 11:25:43AM +1100, Cyril Bur wrote:
> > > At the time of writing GCC 5.4 is the most recent and is affected. GCC
> > > 6.3 contains the backported fix, has been tested and appears safe to
> > > use.
> > 
> > 6.3 is (of course) the newer release; 5.4 is a maintenance release of
> > a compiler that is a year older.
> 
> Yes. I think the point I was trying to make is that since they
> backported the fix to 5.x and 6.x then I expect that 5.5 will have the
> fix but since it doesn't exist yet, I can't be sure. I'll add something
> to that effect.

The patch has been backported to the GCC 5 branch; it will be part of
any future GCC 5 release (5.5 and later, if any later will happen; 5.5
will).

Don't be so unsure about these things, we aren't *that* incompetent ;-)

> > Please mention the GCC PR # somewhere in the code, too?
> 
> Sure.

Thanks!

Segher