Subject: [PATCH 0/4] LD_DEAD_CODE_DATA_ELIMINATION fixes and enabling for powerpc

From: Nicholas Piggin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 17:34:10 +1000

A few people have been interested in this again. And I promised
if it remains dead code it should be removed, so I would like to
have another try.

I think I got snagged on the modules problem last time and did
not take the time to work it out, this time I just turned off the
compile options for modules (the linker option was never set anyway
so no loss).

This includes some linker script catches and ideas from others, I
didn't documnt them all, but thanks for looking.

I would be interested to help other archs get this working too, if
anybody needs some help.

Thanks,
Nick

Nicholas Piggin (4):
  kbuild: Fix asm-generic/vmlinux.lds.h for
    LD_DEAD_CODE_DATA_ELIMINATION
  kbuild: LD_DEAD_CODE_DATA_ELIMINATION no
    -ffunction-sections/-fdata-sections for module build
  kbuild: Allow LD_DEAD_CODE_DATA_ELIMINATION to be selectable if
    enabled
  powerpc: Allow LD_DEAD_CODE_DATA_ELIMINATION to be selected

 Makefile                          |  4 +--
 arch/Kconfig                      | 15 ----------
 arch/powerpc/Kconfig              |  1 +
 arch/powerpc/kernel/vmlinux.lds.S | 22 +++++++-------
 include/asm-generic/vmlinux.lds.h | 49 ++++++++++++++++++-------------
 init/Kconfig                      | 27 +++++++++++++++++
 6 files changed, 70 insertions(+), 48 deletions(-)

-- 
2.17.0