Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/8] add generic builtin command line

From: Will Deacon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 10:29:15 +0000

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 10:07:32AM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 11:57:44AM +0300, Maksym Kokhan wrote:
> > Do you mean, that you haven't seen patch for ARM, which I sent on
> > September 27 along with cover and patch 1? It is strange, because
> > you was the one from recipients. If so, you can see this patch here:
> > https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/patch/992779/
> 
> It seems that I have received patch 5, _but_ it's not threaded with
> the cover message and patch 1.  With 50k messages in my inbox, and 3k
> messages since you sent the series, it's virtually impossible to find
> it (I only found it by looking at my mail server logs from September
> to find the subject, and then searching my mailbox for that subject.)
> 
> This is unnecessarily difficult.

This comes up surprisingly often, and I think part of the issue is that
different maintainers have different preferences. I also prefer to receive
the entire series and cover-letter, but I've seen people object to being
CC'd on the whole series as well (how they manage to review things in
isolation is another question...!)

I wonder if we could have an entry in MAINTAINERS for this sort of
preference?

Maksym: in the short term, please just stick me and Russell on CC for the
entire thing.

Will