Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/8] add generic builtin command line

From: Russell King - ARM Linux <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 10:44:41 +0000

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 10:29:15AM +0000, Will Deacon wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 10:07:32AM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 11:57:44AM +0300, Maksym Kokhan wrote:
> > > Do you mean, that you haven't seen patch for ARM, which I sent on
> > > September 27 along with cover and patch 1? It is strange, because
> > > you was the one from recipients. If so, you can see this patch here:
> > > https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/patch/992779/
> > 
> > It seems that I have received patch 5, _but_ it's not threaded with
> > the cover message and patch 1.  With 50k messages in my inbox, and 3k
> > messages since you sent the series, it's virtually impossible to find
> > it (I only found it by looking at my mail server logs from September
> > to find the subject, and then searching my mailbox for that subject.)
> > 
> > This is unnecessarily difficult.
> 
> This comes up surprisingly often, and I think part of the issue is that
> different maintainers have different preferences. I also prefer to receive
> the entire series and cover-letter, but I've seen people object to being
> CC'd on the whole series as well (how they manage to review things in
> isolation is another question...!)

This series has the odd situation where patch 1 is threaded to the
cover letter, but nothing else is - that makes it inconsistent.

Where I've seen people disagree with threading is when sending
follow-up series - whether that should be threaded to the previous
series or not - some people want it others hate it.

However, I haven't seen any disagreement is about having the patches
threaded to the cover.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: http://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 12.1Mbps down 622kbps up
According to speedtest.net: 11.9Mbps down 500kbps up