Subject: [PATCH] powerpc: Fix COFF zImage booting on old powermacs

From: Paul Mackerras <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 09:01:54 +1100

Commit 6975a783d7b4 ("powerpc/boot: Allow building the zImage wrapper
as a relocatable ET_DYN", 2011-04-12) changed the procedure descriptor
at the start of crt0.S to have a hard-coded start address of 0x500000
rather than a reference to _zimage_start, presumably because having
a reference to a symbol introduced a relocation which is awkward to
handle in a position-independent executable.  Unfortunately, what is
at 0x500000 in the COFF image is not the first instruction, but the
procedure descriptor itself, that is, a word containing 0x500000,
which is not a valid instruction.  Hence, booting a COFF zImage
results in a "DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00700" message from Open
Firmware.

This fixes the problem by (a) putting the procedure descriptor in the
data section and (b) adding a branch to _zimage_start as the first
instruction in the program.

Fixes: 6975a783d7b4 ("powerpc/boot: Allow building the zImage wrapper as a relocatable ET_DYN")
Signed-off-by: Paul Mackerras <[email-masked]>
---
 arch/powerpc/boot/crt0.S | 4 +++-
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/arch/powerpc/boot/crt0.S b/arch/powerpc/boot/crt0.S
index 32dfe6d..9b9d174 100644
--- a/arch/powerpc/boot/crt0.S
+++ b/arch/powerpc/boot/crt0.S
@@ -15,7 +15,7 @@
 RELA = 7
 RELACOUNT = 0x6ffffff9
 
-	.text
+	.data
 	/* A procedure descriptor used when booting this as a COFF file.
 	 * When making COFF, this comes first in the link and we're
 	 * linked at 0x500000.
@@ -23,6 +23,8 @@ RELACOUNT = 0x6ffffff9
 	.globl	_zimage_start_opd
 _zimage_start_opd:
 	.long	0x500000, 0, 0, 0
+	.text
+	b	_zimage_start
 
 #ifdef __powerpc64__
 .balign 8
-- 
2.7.4