Subject: [PATCH 2/2] ibmvscsi: Fix empty event pool access during host removal

From: Tyrel Datwyler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 13:41:51 -0500

The event pool used for queueing commands is destroyed fairly early in
the ibmvscsi_remove() code path. Since, this happens prior to the call
so scsi_remove_host() it is possible for further calls to queuecommand
to be processed which manifest as a panic due to a NULL pointer
dereference as seen here:

PANIC: "Unable to handle kernel paging request for data at address
0x00000000"

Context process backtrace:

DSISR: 0000000042000000 ????Syscall Result: 0000000000000000
4 [c000000002cb3820] memcpy_power7 at c000000000064204
[Link Register] [c000000002cb3820] ibmvscsi_send_srp_event at d000000003ed14a4
5 [c000000002cb3920] ibmvscsi_send_srp_event at d000000003ed14a4 [ibmvscsi] ?(unreliable)
6 [c000000002cb39c0] ibmvscsi_queuecommand at d000000003ed2388 [ibmvscsi]
7 [c000000002cb3a70] scsi_dispatch_cmd at d00000000395c2d8 [scsi_mod]
8 [c000000002cb3af0] scsi_request_fn at d00000000395ef88 [scsi_mod]
9 [c000000002cb3be0] __blk_run_queue at c000000000429860
10 [c000000002cb3c10] blk_delay_work at c00000000042a0ec
11 [c000000002cb3c40] process_one_work at c0000000000dac30
12 [c000000002cb3cd0] worker_thread at c0000000000db110
13 [c000000002cb3d80] kthread at c0000000000e3378
14 [c000000002cb3e30] ret_from_kernel_thread at c00000000000982c

The kernel buffer log is overfilled with this log:

[11261.952732] ibmvscsi: found no event struct in pool!

This patch reorders the operations during host teardown. Start by
calling the SRP transport and Scsi_Host remove functions to flush any
outstanding work and set the host offline. LLDD teardown follows
including destruction of the event pool, freeing the Command Response
Queue (CRQ), and unmapping any persistent buffers. The event pool
destruction is protected by the scsi_host lock, and the pool is purged
prior of any requests for which we never received a response. Finally,
move the removal of the scsi host from our global list to the end so
that the host is easily locatable for debugging purposes during
teardown.

Cc: <[email-masked]> # v2.6.12+
Signed-off-by: Tyrel Datwyler <[email-masked]>
---
 drivers/scsi/ibmvscsi/ibmvscsi.c | 22 ++++++++++++++++------
 1 file changed, 16 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

diff --git a/drivers/scsi/ibmvscsi/ibmvscsi.c b/drivers/scsi/ibmvscsi/ibmvscsi.c
index 2b22969f3f63..8cec5230fe31 100644
--- a/drivers/scsi/ibmvscsi/ibmvscsi.c
+++ b/drivers/scsi/ibmvscsi/ibmvscsi.c
@@ -2295,17 +2295,27 @@ static int ibmvscsi_probe(struct vio_dev *vdev, const struct vio_device_id *id)
 static int ibmvscsi_remove(struct vio_dev *vdev)
 {
 	struct ibmvscsi_host_data *hostdata = dev_get_drvdata(&vdev->dev);
-	spin_lock(&ibmvscsi_driver_lock);
-	list_del(&hostdata->host_list);
-	spin_unlock(&ibmvscsi_driver_lock);
-	unmap_persist_bufs(hostdata);
+	unsigned long flags;
+
+	srp_remove_host(hostdata->host);
+	scsi_remove_host(hostdata->host);
+
+	purge_requests(hostdata, DID_ERROR);
+
+	spin_lock_irqsave(hostdata->host->host_lock, flags);
 	release_event_pool(&hostdata->pool, hostdata);
+	spin_unlock_irqrestore(hostdata->host->host_lock, flags);
+
 	ibmvscsi_release_crq_queue(&hostdata->queue, hostdata,
 					max_events);
 
 	kthread_stop(hostdata->work_thread);
-	srp_remove_host(hostdata->host);
-	scsi_remove_host(hostdata->host);
+	unmap_persist_bufs(hostdata);
+
+	spin_lock(&ibmvscsi_driver_lock);
+	list_del(&hostdata->host_list);
+	spin_unlock(&ibmvscsi_driver_lock);
+
 	scsi_host_put(hostdata->host);
 
 	return 0;
-- 
2.12.3