Subject: Re: [PATCH] powerpc: vmlinux.lds: Drop Binutils 2.18 workarounds

From: Segher Boessenkool <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 10:11:58 -0500

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 07:19:57AM +0100, Christophe Leroy wrote:
> Le 27/03/2019 à 19:21, Segher Boessenkool a écrit :
> >Yeah, okay, we should have some PHDRS statement here still.  You can drop
> >the dummy segment, and the notes segment as well, or you can keep the notes
> >section in both the notes and kernel segments.
> 
> Is the note segment useful at all ? I guess if we decide to keep it, we 
> should have a reason.

I don't know if it is.

$ readelf -x17 powerpc64/kernel/vmlinux

Hex dump of section '.notes':
  0xc0000000010d4128 00000004 00000014 00000003 474e5500 ............GNU.
  0xc0000000010d4138 ba254e47 396b1745 176695d8 6b54c9e3 .%NG9k.E.f..kT..
  0xc0000000010d4148 959cedd7 00000006 00000001 00000100 ................
  0xc0000000010d4158 4c696e75 78000000 00000000          Linux.......

Does that look useful?  There's a build-id in there it seems.  I don't know
if any tools look at that, or how they find it.

> >(You patch doesn't apply btw, whitespace damage I think; will you send a
> >new one?)
> 
> Originally the patch is by Joel Stanley <[email-masked]>
> 
> I guess he will send a v2 taking into account the discussion ?

Please do Joel :-)  Thanks in advance, etc.

> Or maybe you can send it yourself as you are probably the best person to 
> explain in details the change in the commit message.

I have no way of testing things properly.

Segher