Subject: Re: [PATCH kernel] prom_init: Fetch flatten device tree from the system firmware

From: David Gibson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 10:32:56 +1000

On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 06:49:32PM -0500, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 04, 2019 at 07:18:42AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > Yes we could make property fetching faster but mostly by creating a new
> > bulk interface which is quite a bit of work, a new API, and will in
> > practice not be used for anything other than creating the FDT. In that
> > case, nothing will beat in performance having OF create the FDT itself
> > based on its current tree.
> 
> And that will change the whole boot protocol, the interaction between OF
> and its client, which is a much bigger change, not conceptually trivial
> at all.  Copying all properties at once is, which is why I suggested it.

Much as I wasn't terribly convinced by the original idea, I agree with
Ben and Alexey here.  Your approach has slightly more complexity for
slightly less benefit.  If it's worth doing yours it's better to do
theirs.

> It would take away the opposition to your patch.

Only from you, AFAICT...

-- 
David Gibson			| I'll have my music baroque, and my code
david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au	| minimalist, thank you.  NOT _the_ _other_
				| _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson