Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/4] fs: always build llseek.

From: Christoph Hellwig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 23:22:00 -0700

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 06:15:40PM +0200, Michal Suchánek wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 08:15:52 -0700
> Christoph Hellwig <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 10:21:06PM +0200, Michal Suchanek wrote:
> > > 64bit !COMPAT does not build because the llseek syscall is in the tables.  
> > 
> > Well, this will bloat thinkgs like 64-bit RISC-V for no good reason.
> > Please introduce a WANT_LSEEK like symbol that ppc64 can select instead.
> 
> It also builds when llseek is marked as 32bit only in syscall.tbl
> 
> It seems it was handled specially in some way before syscall.tbl was
> added, though (removed in ab66dcc76d6ab8fae9d69d149ae38c42605e7fc5)

Independ of if you need it on a purely 64-bit build on powerpc (which
I'll let the experts figure out) it is not needed on a purely 64-bit
build on other platforms.  So please make sure it is still built
conditional, just possibly with an opt-in for powerpc.