Subject: Re: [mainline][BUG][PPC][btrfs][bisected 00801a] kernel BUG at fs/btrfs/locking.c:71!

From: David Sterba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2019 14:38:09 +0200

On Tue, Sep 03, 2019 at 02:25:07PM +0530, Abdul Haleem wrote:
> Greeting's
> 
> Mainline kernel panics with LTP/fs_fill-dir tests for btrfs file system on my P9 box running mainline kernel 5.3.0-rc5
> 
> BUG_ON was first introduced by below commit

Well, technically the bug_on was there already the only change is the
handling of the updates of the value.

> commit 00801ae4bb2be5f5af46502ef239ac5f4b536094
> Author: David Sterba <[email-masked]>
> Date:   Thu May 2 16:53:47 2019 +0200
> 
>     btrfs: switch extent_buffer write_locks from atomic to int
>     
>     The write_locks is either 0 or 1 and always updated under the lock,
>     so we don't need the atomic_t semantics.

Assuming the code was correct before the patch, if this got broken one
of the above does not hold anymore:

* 0/1 updates -- this can be verified in code that all the state
  transitions are valid, ie. initial 0, locked update to 1, locked
  update 1->0

* atomic_t -> int behaves differently and the changes of the value get
  mixed up, eg. on the instruction level where intel architecture does
  'inc' while p9 does I-don't-know-what a RMW update?

But even with a RMW, this should not matter due to
write_lock/write_unlock around all the updates.