Subject: [PATCH AUTOSEL 4.19 093/237] powerpc/mm/radix: Fix overuse of small pages in splitting logic

From: Sasha Levin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 10:38:48 -0500

From: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>

[ Upstream commit 3b5657ed5b4e27ccf593a41ff3c5aa27dae8df18 ]

When we have CONFIG_STRICT_KERNEL_RWX enabled, we want to split the
linear mapping at the text/data boundary so we can map the kernel text
read only.

But the current logic uses small pages for the entire text section,
regardless of whether a larger page size would fit. eg. with the
boundary at 16M we could use 2M pages, but instead we use 64K pages up
to the 16M boundary:

  Mapped 0x0000000000000000-0x0000000001000000 with 64.0 KiB pages
  Mapped 0x0000000001000000-0x0000000040000000 with 2.00 MiB pages
  Mapped 0x0000000040000000-0x0000000100000000 with 1.00 GiB pages

This is because the test is checking if addr is < __init_begin
and addr + mapping_size is >= _stext. But that is true for all pages
between _stext and __init_begin.

Instead what we want to check is if we are crossing the text/data
boundary, which is at __init_begin. With that fixed we see:

  Mapped 0x0000000000000000-0x0000000000e00000 with 2.00 MiB pages
  Mapped 0x0000000000e00000-0x0000000001000000 with 64.0 KiB pages
  Mapped 0x0000000001000000-0x0000000040000000 with 2.00 MiB pages
  Mapped 0x0000000040000000-0x0000000100000000 with 1.00 GiB pages

ie. we're correctly using 2MB pages below __init_begin, but we still
drop down to 64K pages unnecessarily at the boundary.

Signed-off-by: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Sasha Levin <[email-masked]>
---
 arch/powerpc/mm/pgtable-radix.c | 4 ++--
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/arch/powerpc/mm/pgtable-radix.c b/arch/powerpc/mm/pgtable-radix.c
index 24a2eadc8c21a..b387c7b917b7e 100644
--- a/arch/powerpc/mm/pgtable-radix.c
+++ b/arch/powerpc/mm/pgtable-radix.c
@@ -295,14 +295,14 @@ static int __meminit create_physical_mapping(unsigned long start,
 
 		if (split_text_mapping && (mapping_size == PUD_SIZE) &&
 			(addr < __pa_symbol(__init_begin)) &&
-			(addr + mapping_size) >= __pa_symbol(_stext)) {
+			(addr + mapping_size) >= __pa_symbol(__init_begin)) {
 			max_mapping_size = PMD_SIZE;
 			goto retry;
 		}
 
 		if (split_text_mapping && (mapping_size == PMD_SIZE) &&
 		    (addr < __pa_symbol(__init_begin)) &&
-		    (addr + mapping_size) >= __pa_symbol(_stext)) {
+		    (addr + mapping_size) >= __pa_symbol(__init_begin)) {
 			mapping_size = PAGE_SIZE;
 			psize = mmu_virtual_psize;
 		}
-- 
2.20.1