Subject: [PATCH AUTOSEL 4.9 50/99] powerpc/process: Fix flush_all_to_thread for SPE

From: Sasha Levin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 10:50:13 -0500

From: Felipe Rechia <[email-masked]>

[ Upstream commit e901378578c62202594cba0f6c076f3df365ec91 ]

Fix a bug introduced by the creation of flush_all_to_thread() for
processors that have SPE (Signal Processing Engine) and use it to
compute floating-point operations.

>>From userspace perspective, the problem was seen in attempts of
computing floating-point operations which should generate exceptions.
For example:

  fork();
  float x = 0.0 / 0.0;
  isnan(x);           // forked process returns False (should be True)

The operation above also should always cause the SPEFSCR FINV bit to
be set. However, the SPE floating-point exceptions were turned off
after a fork().

Kernel versions prior to the bug used flush_spe_to_thread(), which
first saves SPEFSCR register values in tsk->thread and then calls
giveup_spe(tsk).

After commit 579e633e764e, the save_all() function was called first
to giveup_spe(), and then the SPEFSCR register values were saved in
tsk->thread. This would save the SPEFSCR register values after
disabling SPE for that thread, causing the bug described above.

Fixes 579e633e764e ("powerpc: create flush_all_to_thread()")
Signed-off-by: Felipe Rechia <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Sasha Levin <[email-masked]>
---
 arch/powerpc/kernel/process.c | 3 +--
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/arch/powerpc/kernel/process.c b/arch/powerpc/kernel/process.c
index 47c6c0401b3a2..54c95e7c74cce 100644
--- a/arch/powerpc/kernel/process.c
+++ b/arch/powerpc/kernel/process.c
@@ -576,12 +576,11 @@ void flush_all_to_thread(struct task_struct *tsk)
 	if (tsk->thread.regs) {
 		preempt_disable();
 		BUG_ON(tsk != current);
-		save_all(tsk);
-
 #ifdef CONFIG_SPE
 		if (tsk->thread.regs->msr & MSR_SPE)
 			tsk->thread.spefscr = mfspr(SPRN_SPEFSCR);
 #endif
+		save_all(tsk);
 
 		preempt_enable();
 	}
-- 
2.20.1