Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] dma-mapping: treat dev->bus_dma_mask as a DMA limit

From: Christoph Hellwig <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 16:24:57 +0100

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 10:26:44AM +0100, Nicolas Saenz Julienne wrote:
> Using a mask to represent bus DMA constraints has a set of limitations.
> The biggest one being it can only hold a power of two (minus one). The
> DMA mapping code is already aware of this and treats dev->bus_dma_mask
> as a limit. This quirk is already used by some architectures although
> still rare.
> 
> With the introduction of the Raspberry Pi 4 we've found a new contender
> for the use of bus DMA limits, as its PCIe bus can only address the
> lower 3GB of memory (of a total of 4GB). This is impossible to represent
> with a mask. To make things worse the device-tree code rounds non power
> of two bus DMA limits to the next power of two, which is unacceptable in
> this case.
> 
> In the light of this, rename dev->bus_dma_mask to dev->bus_dma_limit all
> over the tree and treat it as such. Note that dev->bus_dma_limit should
> contain the higher accesible DMA address.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Nicolas Saenz Julienne <[email-masked]>

I've tentatively added this patch to the dma-mapping tree based on
Robins principal approval of the last version.  That way tomorrows
linux-next run should still pick it up.