Subject: Re: [PATCH 6/6] powerpc: powernv: no need to check return value of debugfs_create functions

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 07:19:15 -0800

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 02:01:53AM +1100, Oliver O'Halloran wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 12:12 AM Greg Kroah-Hartman
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > When calling debugfs functions, there is no need to ever check the
> > return value.  The function can work or not, but the code logic should
> > never do something different based on this.
> 
> For memtrace debugfs is the only way to actually use the feature. It'd
> be nice if it still printed out *something* if it failed to create the
> files rather than just being mysteriously absent, but maybe debugfs
> itself does that. Looks fine otherwise.

No, debugfs will only spit out an error message to the log if a
file/directory is attempted to be created for an already present
file/directory.

For other failures, no error will be printed, other than the normal
lower-level "out of memory" issues that might rarely happen.

thanks,

greg k-h