Subject: [PATCH v3 0/8] powerpc/perf: Add json file metric support for the hv_24x7 socket/chip level events

From: Kajol Jain <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 15:11:51 +0530

First patch of the patchset fix inconsistent results we are getting when
we run multiple 24x7 events.

Patchset adds json file metric support for the hv_24x7 socket/chip level
events. "hv_24x7" pmu interface events needs system dependent parameter
like socket/chip/core. For example, hv_24x7 chip level events needs
specific chip-id to which the data is requested should be added as part
of pmu events.

So to enable JSON file support to "hv_24x7" interface, patchset expose
total number of sockets and chips per-socket details in sysfs
files (sockets, chips) under "/sys/devices/hv_24x7/interface/".

To get sockets and number of chips per sockets, patchset adds a rtas call
with token "PROCESSOR_MODULE_INFO" to get these details. Patchset also
handles partition migration case to re-init these system depended
parameters by adding proper calls in post_mobility_fixup() (mobility.c).

Patch 6 & 8 of the patchset handles perf tool plumbing needed to replace
the "?" character in the metric expression to proper value and hv_24x7
json metric file for different Socket/chip resources.

Patch set also enable Hz/hz prinitg for --metric-only option to print
metric data for bus frequency.

Applied and tested all these patches cleanly on top of jiri's flex changes
patchset and made required changes.

Changelog:
v2 -> v3
- Remove setting  event_count to 0 part in function 'h_24x7_event_read'
  with comment rather then adding 0 to event_count value.
  Suggested by: Sukadev Bhattiprolu

- Apply tool side changes require to replace "?" on Jiri's flex patch
  series and made all require changes to make it compatible with added
  flex change.

v1 -> v2
- Rename hv-24x7 metric json file as nest_metrics.json

Kajol Jain (8):
  powerpc/perf/hv-24x7: Fix inconsistent output values incase multiple
    hv-24x7 events run
  powerpc/hv-24x7: Add rtas call in hv-24x7 driver to get processor
    details
  powerpc/hv-24x7: Add sysfs files inside hv-24x7 device to show
    processor details
  Documentation/ABI: Add ABI documentation for chips and sockets
  powerpc/hv-24x7: Update post_mobility_fixup() to handle migration
  perf/tools: Enhance JSON/metric infrastructure to handle "?"
  tools/perf: Enable Hz/hz prinitg for --metric-only option
  perf/tools/pmu-events/powerpc: Add hv_24x7 socket/chip level metric
    events

 .../sysfs-bus-event_source-devices-hv_24x7    |  14 +++
 arch/powerpc/perf/hv-24x7.c                   | 104 ++++++++++++++--
 arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/mobility.c     |  12 ++
 arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/pseries.h      |   3 +
 tools/perf/arch/powerpc/util/header.c         |  47 ++++++++
 .../arch/powerpc/power9/nest_metrics.json     |  19 +++
 tools/perf/util/expr.h                        |   1 +
 tools/perf/util/expr.l                        |  18 ++-
 tools/perf/util/expr.y                        |   2 +
 tools/perf/util/metricgroup.c                 | 112 +++++++++++-------
 tools/perf/util/metricgroup.h                 |   1 +
 tools/perf/util/stat-display.c                |   2 -
 tools/perf/util/stat-shadow.c                 |   6 +
 13 files changed, 286 insertions(+), 55 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 tools/perf/pmu-events/arch/powerpc/power9/nest_metrics.json

-- 
2.21.0