Subject: [RFC PATCH v2 0/7] consolidate PowerPC instruction encoding macros

From: Balamuruhan S <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 12:38:46 +0530

ppc-opcode.h have base instruction encoding wrapped with stringify_in_c()
for raw encoding to have compatibility. But there are redundant macros for
base instruction encodings in bpf, instruction emulation test infrastructure
and powerpc selftests.

Currently PPC_INST_* macros are used for encoding instruction opcode and PPC_*
for raw instuction encoding, this rfc patchset introduces PPC_RAW_* macros for
base instruction encoding and reuse it from elsewhere. With this change we can
avoid redundant macro definitions in multiple files and start adding new
instructions in ppc-opcode.h in future.

Changes in v2:
-------------
Fix review comments/suggestions from Naveen and Michael Ellerman,

* Rename PPC_ENCODE_* to PPC_RAW_* for base instruction encoding macros.
* Split the patches that does mass renaming and make them simpler that just
  adds new macros.
* Keep the patch to update all the existing names later (patch 6).
* Lot of PPC_INST_* macros are used only in ppc-opcode.h for PPC_*  macros,
  fold PPC_INST_* encoding into PPC_RAW_* to avoid using them accidentally.
* Fixed clipped macros that was due to a typo/copy-paste
* Consolidated all the instruction encoding macros from bpf_jit.h to
  ppc-opcode.h
* squashed patch that removes the duplicate macro PPC_MR() in bpf_jit.h
* merge few changes in bpf_jit files from patch 2 into patch 3
* few fixes in powerpc selftest stringloops Makefile
* build tested for ppc64le_defconfig, ppc64e_defconfig and pmac32_defconfig
* Rebased on next branch of linuxppc tree

Testing:
-------
* Tested it by compiling vmlinux and comparing objdump of it with and without
  the patchset and observed that it remains same,

  # diff vmlinux_objdump vmlinux_rfc_objdump 
  2c2
  < vmlinux:     file format elf64-powerpcle
  ---
  > vmlinux_rfc:     file format elf64-powerpcle

* Tested building it with this changes for Fedora30 config, booted VM
  with powerpc next and powerpc next + patchset to run powerpc selftest and
  ftrace selftest. There were couple of failures that were common and
  patchset did not introduce any new failures.

  ftrace selftest:
  ---------------
	# # of passed:  96
	# # of failed:  1
	# # of unresolved:  7
	# # of untested:  0
	# # of unsupported:  1
	# # of xfailed:  1
	# # of undefined(test bug):  0
	not ok 1 selftests: ftrace: ftracetest # exit=1

  powerpc selftest:
  ----------------
        not ok 7 selftests: powerpc/dscr: dscr_sysfs_thread_test # exit=1
        not ok 20 selftests: powerpc/pmu/ebb: lost_exception_test # TIMEOUT
        not ok 2 selftests: powerpc/security: spectre_v2 # exit=1

Thanks to Naveen, Sandipan and Michael on overall suggestions/improvements.

I would request for review and suggestions to make it better.

v1: https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2020-March/206494.html

Balamuruhan S (7):
  powerpc/ppc-opcode: introduce PPC_RAW_* macros for base instruction
    encoding
  powerpc/ppc-opcode: move ppc instruction encoding from
    test_emulate_step
  powerpc/bpf_jit: reuse instruction macros from ppc-opcode.h
  powerpc/ppc-opcode: consolidate powerpc instructions from bpf_jit.h
  powerpc/ppc-opcode: reuse raw instruction macros to stringify
  powerpc/ppc-opcode: fold PPC_INST_* macros into PPC_RAW_* macros
  powerpc/selftest: reuse ppc-opcode macros to avoid redundancy

 arch/powerpc/include/asm/ppc-opcode.h         | 706 +++++++++++-------
 arch/powerpc/lib/test_emulate_step.c          | 155 ++--
 arch/powerpc/net/bpf_jit.h                    | 184 +----
 arch/powerpc/net/bpf_jit32.h                  |  34 +-
 arch/powerpc/net/bpf_jit64.h                  |  16 +-
 arch/powerpc/net/bpf_jit_comp.c               | 134 ++--
 arch/powerpc/net/bpf_jit_comp64.c             | 298 ++++----
 .../selftests/powerpc/stringloops/Makefile    |  34 +-
 .../powerpc/stringloops/asm/asm-const.h       |   1 +
 .../powerpc/stringloops/asm/ppc-opcode.h      |  36 +-
 10 files changed, 762 insertions(+), 836 deletions(-)
 create mode 120000 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/stringloops/asm/asm-const.h
 mode change 100644 => 120000 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/stringloops/asm/ppc-opcode.h

base-commit: 45591da765885f7320a111d290b3a28a23eed359
-- 
2.24.1