Subject: [PATCH v2 3/3] device-dax: Add system ram (add_memory()) with MHP_NO_FIRMWARE_MEMMAP

From: David Hildenbrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 12:29:08 +0200

Currently, when adding memory, we create entries in /sys/firmware/memmap/
as "System RAM". This does not reflect the reality and will lead to
kexec-tools to add that memory to the fixed-up initial memmap for a
kexec kernel (loaded via kexec_load()). The memory will be considered
initial System RAM by the kexec kernel.

We should let the kexec kernel decide how to use that memory - just as
we do during an ordinary reboot.

Before configuring the namespace:
	[root@localhost ~]# cat /proc/iomem
	...
	140000000-33fffffff : Persistent Memory
	  140000000-33fffffff : namespace0.0
	3280000000-32ffffffff : PCI Bus 0000:00

After configuring the namespace:
	[root@localhost ~]# cat /proc/iomem
	...
	140000000-33fffffff : Persistent Memory
	  140000000-1481fffff : namespace0.0
	  148200000-33fffffff : dax0.0
	3280000000-32ffffffff : PCI Bus 0000:00

After loading kmem:
	[root@localhost ~]# cat /proc/iomem
	...
	140000000-33fffffff : Persistent Memory
	  140000000-1481fffff : namespace0.0
	  150000000-33fffffff : dax0.0
	    150000000-33fffffff : System RAM
	3280000000-32ffffffff : PCI Bus 0000:00

After a proper reboot:
	[root@localhost ~]# cat /proc/iomem
	...
	140000000-33fffffff : Persistent Memory
	  140000000-1481fffff : namespace0.0
	  148200000-33fffffff : dax0.0
	3280000000-32ffffffff : PCI Bus 0000:00

Within the kexec kernel before this change:
	[root@localhost ~]# cat /proc/iomem
	...
	140000000-33fffffff : Persistent Memory
	  140000000-1481fffff : namespace0.0
	  150000000-33fffffff : System RAM
	3280000000-32ffffffff : PCI Bus 0000:00

Within the kexec kernel after this change:
	[root@localhost ~]# cat /proc/iomem
	...
	140000000-33fffffff : Persistent Memory
	  140000000-1481fffff : namespace0.0
	  148200000-33fffffff : dax0.0
	3280000000-32ffffffff : PCI Bus 0000:00

/sys/firmware/memmap/ before this change:
	0000000000000000-000000000009fc00 (System RAM)
	000000000009fc00-00000000000a0000 (Reserved)
	00000000000f0000-0000000000100000 (Reserved)
	0000000000100000-00000000bffdf000 (System RAM)
	00000000bffdf000-00000000c0000000 (Reserved)
	00000000feffc000-00000000ff000000 (Reserved)
	00000000fffc0000-0000000100000000 (Reserved)
	0000000100000000-0000000140000000 (System RAM)
	0000000150000000-0000000340000000 (System RAM)

/sys/firmware/memmap/ after a proper reboot:
	0000000000000000-000000000009fc00 (System RAM)
	000000000009fc00-00000000000a0000 (Reserved)
	00000000000f0000-0000000000100000 (Reserved)
	0000000000100000-00000000bffdf000 (System RAM)
	00000000bffdf000-00000000c0000000 (Reserved)
	00000000feffc000-00000000ff000000 (Reserved)
	00000000fffc0000-0000000100000000 (Reserved)
	0000000100000000-0000000140000000 (System RAM)

/sys/firmware/memmap/ after this change:
	0000000000000000-000000000009fc00 (System RAM)
	000000000009fc00-00000000000a0000 (Reserved)
	00000000000f0000-0000000000100000 (Reserved)
	0000000000100000-00000000bffdf000 (System RAM)
	00000000bffdf000-00000000c0000000 (Reserved)
	00000000feffc000-00000000ff000000 (Reserved)
	00000000fffc0000-0000000100000000 (Reserved)
	0000000100000000-0000000140000000 (System RAM)

kexec-tools already seem to basically ignore any System RAM that's not
on top level when searching for areas to place kexec images - but also
for determining crash areas to dump via kdump. This behavior is not
changed by this patch. kexec-tools probably has to be fixed to also
include this memory in system dumps.

Note: kexec_file_load() does the right thing already within the kernel.

Cc: Andrew Morton <[email-masked]>
Cc: Michal Hocko <[email-masked]>
Cc: Pankaj Gupta <[email-masked]>
Cc: Wei Yang <[email-masked]>
Cc: Baoquan He <[email-masked]>
Cc: Dave Hansen <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eric Biederman <[email-masked]>
Cc: Pavel Tatashin <[email-masked]>
Cc: Dan Williams <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: David Hildenbrand <[email-masked]>
---
 drivers/dax/kmem.c | 3 ++-
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/drivers/dax/kmem.c b/drivers/dax/kmem.c
index e159184e0ba0..929823a79816 100644
--- a/drivers/dax/kmem.c
+++ b/drivers/dax/kmem.c
@@ -65,7 +65,8 @@ int dev_dax_kmem_probe(struct device *dev)
 	new_res->flags = IORESOURCE_SYSTEM_RAM;
 	new_res->name = dev_name(dev);
 
-	rc = add_memory(numa_node, new_res->start, resource_size(new_res), 0);
+	rc = add_memory(numa_node, new_res->start, resource_size(new_res),
+			MHP_NO_FIRMWARE_MEMMAP);
 	if (rc) {
 		release_resource(new_res);
 		kfree(new_res);
-- 
2.25.3