Subject: [PATCH v3 0/2] Implement reentrant rtas call

From: Leonardo Bras <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 22:12:43 -0300

Patch 2 implement rtas_call_reentrant() for reentrant rtas-calls:
"ibm,int-on", "ibm,int-off",ibm,get-xive" and  "ibm,set-xive",
according to LoPAPR Version 1.1 (March 24, 2016).

For that, it's necessary that every call uses a different
rtas buffer (rtas_args). Paul Mackerras suggested using the PACA
structure for creating a per-cpu buffer for these calls.

Patch 1 was necessary to make PACA have a 'struct rtas_args' member.

Reentrant rtas calls can be useful to avoid deadlocks in crashing,
where rtas-calls are needed, but some other thread crashed holding
the rtas.lock.

This is a backtrace of a deadlock from a kdump testing environment:

  #0 arch_spin_lock
  #1  lock_rtas () 
  #2  rtas_call (token=8204, nargs=1, nret=1, outputs=0x0)
  #3  ics_rtas_mask_real_irq (hw_irq=4100) 
  #4  machine_kexec_mask_interrupts
  #5  default_machine_crash_shutdown
  #6  machine_crash_shutdown 
  #7  __crash_kexec
  #8  crash_kexec
  #9  oops_end

Signed-off-by: Leonardo Bras <[email-masked]>

---
Changes since v2:
- Fixed build failure from ppc64e, by including spinlock_types.h on 
  rtas-types.h
- Improved commit messages

Changes since v1:
- Moved buffer from stack to PACA (as suggested by Paul Mackerras)
- Added missing output bits
- Improve documentation following kernel-doc format (as suggested by
  Nathan Lynch)

Leonardo Bras (2):
  powerpc/rtas: Move type/struct definitions from rtas.h into
    rtas-types.h
  powerpc/rtas: Implement reentrant rtas call

 arch/powerpc/include/asm/paca.h       |   2 +
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/rtas-types.h | 126 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/rtas.h       | 119 +-----------------------
 arch/powerpc/kernel/rtas.c            |  42 +++++++++
 arch/powerpc/sysdev/xics/ics-rtas.c   |  22 ++---
 5 files changed, 183 insertions(+), 128 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 arch/powerpc/include/asm/rtas-types.h

-- 
2.25.4