Subject: [PATCH 0/8 v2] PCI: Align return values of PCIe capability and PCI accessors

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 09:32:17 +0200

From: Bolarinwa Olayemi Saheed <[email-masked]>

PATCH 1/8 to 7/8:
PCIBIOS_ error codes have positive values and they are passed down the
call heirarchy from accessors. For functions which are meant to return
only a negative value on failure, passing on this value is a bug.
To mitigate this, call pcibios_err_to_errno() before passing on return
value from PCIe capability accessors call heirarchy. This function
converts any positive PCIBIOS_ error codes to negative generic error
values.

PATCH 8/8:
The PCIe capability accessors can return 0, -EINVAL, or any PCIBIOS_ error
code. The pci accessor on the other hand can only return 0 or any PCIBIOS_
error code.This inconsistency among these accessor makes it harder for
callers to check for errors.
Return PCIBIOS_BAD_REGISTER_NUMBER instead of -EINVAL in all PCIe
capability accessors.

MERGING:
These may all be merged via the PCI tree, since it is a collection of
similar fixes. This way they all get merged at once.

Version 2:
* cc to maintainers and mailing lists
* Edit the Subject to conform with previous style
* reorder "Signed by" and "Suggested by"
* made spelling corrections
* fixed redundant initialisation in PATCH 3/8
* include missing call to pcibios_err_to_errno() in PATCH 6/8 and 7/8

Bolarinwa Olayemi Saheed (8):
  dmaengine: ioatdma: Convert PCIBIOS_* errors to generic -E* errors
  IB/hfi1: Convert PCIBIOS_* errors to generic -E* errors
  IB/hfi1: Convert PCIBIOS_* errors to generic -E* errors
  PCI: Convert PCIBIOS_* errors to generic -E* errors
  scsi: smartpqi: Convert PCIBIOS_* errors to generic -E* errors
  PCI/AER: Convert PCIBIOS_* errors to generic -E* errors
  PCI/AER: Convert PCIBIOS_* errors to generic -E* errors
  PCI: Align return values of PCIe capability and PCI accessorss

 drivers/dma/ioat/init.c               |  4 ++--
 drivers/infiniband/hw/hfi1/pcie.c     | 18 +++++++++++++-----
 drivers/pci/access.c                  |  8 ++++----
 drivers/pci/pci.c                     | 10 ++++++++--
 drivers/pci/pcie/aer.c                | 12 ++++++++++--
 drivers/scsi/smartpqi/smartpqi_init.c |  6 +++++-
 6 files changed, 42 insertions(+), 16 deletions(-)

-- 
2.18.2