Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 00/12] kunit: create a centralized executor to dispatch all KUnit tests

From: Kees Cook <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 14:52:37 -0700

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 02:09:05PM -0700, Brendan Higgins wrote:
> This patchset adds a centralized executor to dispatch tests rather than
> relying on late_initcall to schedule each test suite separately along
> with a couple of new features that depend on it.

So, the new section looks fine to me (modulo the INIT_DATA change). The
plumbing to start the tests, though, I think is redundant. Why not just
add a sysctl that starts all known tests?

That way you don't need the plumbing into init/main.c, and you can have
a mode where builtin tests can be started on a fully booted system too.

i.e. boot with "sysctl.kernel.kunit=start" or when fully booted with
"echo start > /proc/sys/kernel/kunit"

And instead of the kunit-specific halt/reboot stuff, how about moving
/proc/sysrq-trigger into /proc/sys instead? Then you (or anything) could
do:

sysctl.kernel.kunit=start sysctl.kernel.sysrq-trigger=b

-- 
Kees Cook