Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] kbuild: preprocess module linker script

From: Jessica Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 12:26:01 +0200

+++ Masahiro Yamada [08/09/20 13:27 +0900]:
>There was a request to preprocess the module linker script like we
>do for the vmlinux one. (https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/8/21/512)
>
>The difference between vmlinux.lds and module.lds is that the latter
>is needed for external module builds, thus must be cleaned up by
>'make mrproper' instead of 'make clean'. Also, it must be created
>by 'make modules_prepare'.
>
>You cannot put it in arch/$(SRCARCH)/kernel/, which is cleaned up by
>'make clean'. I moved arch/$(SRCARCH)/kernel/module.lds to
>arch/$(SRCARCH)/include/asm/module.lds.h, which is included from
>scripts/module.lds.S.
>
>scripts/module.lds is fine because 'make clean' keeps all the
>build artifacts under scripts/.
>
>You can add arch-specific sections in <asm/module.lds.h>.
>
>Signed-off-by: Masahiro Yamada <[email-masked]>
>Tested-by: Jessica Yu <[email-masked]>
>Acked-by: Will Deacon <[email-masked]>

Acked-by: Jessica Yu <[email-masked]>

Thanks for working on this!