Subject: [PATCH v7 0/4] arch, mm: improve robustness of direct map manipulation

From: Mike Rapoport <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2020 21:21:24 +0200

From: Mike Rapoport <[email-masked]>

Hi,

During recent discussion about KVM protected memory, David raised a concern
about usage of __kernel_map_pages() outside of DEBUG_PAGEALLOC scope [1].

Indeed, for architectures that define CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_SET_DIRECT_MAP it is
possible that __kernel_map_pages() would fail, but since this function is
void, the failure will go unnoticed.

Moreover, there's lack of consistency of __kernel_map_pages() semantics
across architectures as some guard this function with
#ifdef DEBUG_PAGEALLOC, some refuse to update the direct map if page
allocation debugging is disabled at run time and some allow modifying the
direct map regardless of DEBUG_PAGEALLOC settings.

This set straightens this out by restoring dependency of
__kernel_map_pages() on DEBUG_PAGEALLOC and updating the call sites
accordingly. 

Since currently the only user of __kernel_map_pages() outside
DEBUG_PAGEALLOC is hibernation, it is updated to make direct map accesses
there more explicit.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email-masked]

v7 changes:
* fix a rebase error that sneaked into v6 after removal of slab changes

v6 changes:
* revert slab changes to avoid redundant check of static key
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email-masked]

v5 changes:
* use pairs of _map()/_unmap() functions instead of _map(..., int enable) as
  Vlastimil suggested
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email-masked]

v4 changes:
* s/WARN_ON/pr_warn_once/ per David and Kirill
* rebase on v5.10-rc2
* add Acked/Reviewed tags
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email-masked]

v3 changes:
* update arm64 changes to avoid regression, per Rick's comments
* fix bisectability
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email-masked]

v2 changes:
* Rephrase patch 2 changelog to better describe the change intentions and
implications
* Move removal of kernel_map_pages() from patch 1 to patch 2, per David
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email-masked]

v1:
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email-masked]

Mike Rapoport (4):
  mm: introduce debug_pagealloc_{map,unmap}_pages() helpers
  PM: hibernate: make direct map manipulations more explicit
  arch, mm: restore dependency of __kernel_map_pages() on DEBUG_PAGEALLOC
  arch, mm: make kernel_page_present() always available

 arch/Kconfig                        |  3 +++
 arch/arm64/Kconfig                  |  4 +--
 arch/arm64/include/asm/cacheflush.h |  1 +
 arch/arm64/mm/pageattr.c            |  6 +++--
 arch/powerpc/Kconfig                |  5 +---
 arch/riscv/Kconfig                  |  4 +--
 arch/riscv/include/asm/pgtable.h    |  2 --
 arch/riscv/include/asm/set_memory.h |  1 +
 arch/riscv/mm/pageattr.c            | 31 ++++++++++++++++++++++
 arch/s390/Kconfig                   |  4 +--
 arch/sparc/Kconfig                  |  4 +--
 arch/x86/Kconfig                    |  4 +--
 arch/x86/include/asm/set_memory.h   |  1 +
 arch/x86/mm/pat/set_memory.c        |  4 +--
 include/linux/mm.h                  | 40 ++++++++++++++---------------
 include/linux/set_memory.h          |  5 ++++
 kernel/power/snapshot.c             | 38 +++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 mm/memory_hotplug.c                 |  3 +--
 mm/page_alloc.c                     |  6 ++---
 19 files changed, 113 insertions(+), 53 deletions(-)

-- 
2.28.0

*** BLURB HERE ***

Mike Rapoport (4):
  mm: introduce debug_pagealloc_{map,unmap}_pages() helpers
  PM: hibernate: make direct map manipulations more explicit
  arch, mm: restore dependency of __kernel_map_pages() on
    DEBUG_PAGEALLOC
  arch, mm: make kernel_page_present() always available

 arch/Kconfig                        |  3 +++
 arch/arm64/Kconfig                  |  4 +--
 arch/arm64/include/asm/cacheflush.h |  1 +
 arch/arm64/mm/pageattr.c            |  6 +++--
 arch/powerpc/Kconfig                |  5 +---
 arch/riscv/Kconfig                  |  4 +--
 arch/riscv/include/asm/pgtable.h    |  2 --
 arch/riscv/include/asm/set_memory.h |  1 +
 arch/riscv/mm/pageattr.c            | 31 ++++++++++++++++++++++
 arch/s390/Kconfig                   |  4 +--
 arch/sparc/Kconfig                  |  4 +--
 arch/x86/Kconfig                    |  4 +--
 arch/x86/include/asm/set_memory.h   |  1 +
 arch/x86/mm/pat/set_memory.c        |  4 +--
 include/linux/mm.h                  | 40 ++++++++++++++---------------
 include/linux/set_memory.h          |  5 ++++
 kernel/power/snapshot.c             | 38 +++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 mm/memory_hotplug.c                 |  3 +--
 mm/page_alloc.c                     |  6 ++---
 mm/slab.c                           |  2 +-
 20 files changed, 114 insertions(+), 54 deletions(-)

-- 
2.28.0