Subject: [PATCH v8 00/12] huge vmalloc mappings

From: Nicholas Piggin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2020 01:25:47 +1000

Hi Andrew,

Please consider this for -mm.

Thanks,
Nick

Since v7:
- Rebase, added some acks, compile fix
- Removed "order=" from vmallocinfo, it's a bit confusing (nr_pages
  is in small page size for compatibility).
- Added arch_vmap_pmd_supported() test before starting to allocate
  the large page, rather than only testing it when doing the map, to
  avoid unsupported configs trying to allocate huge pages for no
  reason.

Since v6:
- Fixed a false positive warning introduced in patch 2, found by
  kbuild test robot.

Since v5:
- Split arch changes out better and make the constant folding work
- Avoid most of the 80 column wrap, fix a reference to lib/ioremap.c
- Fix compile error on some archs

Since v4:
- Fixed an off-by-page-order bug in v4
- Several minor cleanups.
- Added page order to /proc/vmallocinfo
- Added hugepage to alloc_large_system_hage output.
- Made an architecture config option, powerpc only for now.

Since v3:
- Fixed an off-by-one bug in a loop
- Fix !CONFIG_HAVE_ARCH_HUGE_VMAP build fail
- Hopefully this time fix the arm64 vmap stack bug, thanks Jonathan
  Cameron for debugging the cause of this (hopefully).

Since v2:
- Rebased on vmalloc cleanups, split series into simpler pieces.
- Fixed several compile errors and warnings
- Keep the page array and accounting in small page units because
  struct vm_struct is an interface (this should fix x86 vmap stack debug
  assert). [Thanks Zefan]
*** BLURB HERE ***

Nicholas Piggin (12):
  mm/vmalloc: fix vmalloc_to_page for huge vmap mappings
  mm: apply_to_pte_range warn and fail if a large pte is encountered
  mm/vmalloc: rename vmap_*_range vmap_pages_*_range
  mm/ioremap: rename ioremap_*_range to vmap_*_range
  mm: HUGE_VMAP arch support cleanup
  powerpc: inline huge vmap supported functions
  arm64: inline huge vmap supported functions
  x86: inline huge vmap supported functions
  mm: Move vmap_range from mm/ioremap.c to mm/vmalloc.c
  mm/vmalloc: add vmap_range_noflush variant
  mm/vmalloc: Hugepage vmalloc mappings
  powerpc/64s/radix: Enable huge vmalloc mappings

 .../admin-guide/kernel-parameters.txt         |   2 +
 arch/Kconfig                                  |   4 +
 arch/arm64/include/asm/vmalloc.h              |  25 +
 arch/arm64/mm/mmu.c                           |  26 -
 arch/powerpc/Kconfig                          |   1 +
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/vmalloc.h            |  21 +
 arch/powerpc/mm/book3s64/radix_pgtable.c      |  21 -
 arch/x86/include/asm/vmalloc.h                |  23 +
 arch/x86/mm/ioremap.c                         |  19 -
 arch/x86/mm/pgtable.c                         |  13 -
 include/linux/io.h                            |   9 -
 include/linux/vmalloc.h                       |  10 +
 init/main.c                                   |   1 -
 mm/ioremap.c                                  | 225 +--------
 mm/memory.c                                   |  66 ++-
 mm/page_alloc.c                               |   5 +-
 mm/vmalloc.c                                  | 453 +++++++++++++++---
 17 files changed, 529 insertions(+), 395 deletions(-)

-- 
2.23.0