Subject: [PATCH] powerpc/mm: Limit allocation of SWIOTLB on server machines

From: Thiago Jung Bauermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 03:21:03 -0300

On server-class POWER machines, we don't need the SWIOTLB unless we're a
secure VM. Nevertheless, if CONFIG_SWIOTLB is enabled we unconditionally
allocate it.

In most cases this is harmless, but on a few machine configurations (e.g.,
POWER9 powernv systems with 4 GB area reserved for crashdump kernel) it can
happen that memblock can't find a 64 MB chunk of memory for the SWIOTLB and
fails with a scary-looking WARN_ONCE:

 ------------[ cut here ]------------
 memblock: bottom-up allocation failed, memory hotremove may be affected
 WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 0 at mm/memblock.c:332 memblock_find_in_range_node+0x328/0x340
 Modules linked in:
 CPU: 0 PID: 0 Comm: swapper Not tainted 5.10.0-rc2-orig+ #6
 NIP:  c000000000442f38 LR: c000000000442f34 CTR: c0000000001e0080
 REGS: c000000001def900 TRAP: 0700   Not tainted  (5.10.0-rc2-orig+)
 MSR:  9000000002021033 <SF,HV,VEC,ME,IR,DR,RI,LE>  CR: 28022222  XER: 20040000
 CFAR: c00000000014b7b4 IRQMASK: 1
 GPR00: c000000000442f34 c000000001defba0 c000000001deff00 0000000000000047
 GPR04: 00000000ffff7fff c000000001def828 c000000001def820 0000000000000000
 GPR08: 0000001ffc3e0000 c000000001b75478 c000000001b75478 0000000000000001
 GPR12: 0000000000002000 c000000002030000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000
 GPR16: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000002030000
 GPR20: 0000000000000000 0000000000010000 0000000000010000 c000000001defc10
 GPR24: c000000001defc08 c000000001c91868 c000000001defc18 c000000001c91890
 GPR28: 0000000000000000 ffffffffffffffff 0000000004000000 00000000ffffffff
 NIP [c000000000442f38] memblock_find_in_range_node+0x328/0x340
 LR [c000000000442f34] memblock_find_in_range_node+0x324/0x340
 Call Trace:
 [c000000001defba0] [c000000000442f34] memblock_find_in_range_node+0x324/0x340 (unreliable)
 [c000000001defc90] [c0000000015ac088] memblock_alloc_range_nid+0xec/0x1b0
 [c000000001defd40] [c0000000015ac1f8] memblock_alloc_internal+0xac/0x110
 [c000000001defda0] [c0000000015ac4d0] memblock_alloc_try_nid+0x94/0xcc
 [c000000001defe30] [c00000000159c3c8] swiotlb_init+0x78/0x104
 [c000000001defea0] [c00000000158378c] mem_init+0x4c/0x98
 [c000000001defec0] [c00000000157457c] start_kernel+0x714/0xac8
 [c000000001deff90] [c00000000000d244] start_here_common+0x1c/0x58
 Instruction dump:
 2c230000 4182ffd4 ea610088 ea810090 4bfffe84 39200001 3d42fff4 3c62ff60
 3863c560 992a8bfc 4bd0881d 60000000 <0fe00000> ea610088 4bfffd94 60000000
 random: get_random_bytes called from __warn+0x128/0x184 with crng_init=0
 ---[ end trace 0000000000000000 ]---
 software IO TLB: Cannot allocate buffer

Unless this is a secure VM the message can actually be ignored, because the
SWIOTLB isn't needed. Therefore, let's avoid the SWIOTLB in those cases.

Fixes: eae9eec476d1 ("powerpc/pseries/svm: Allocate SWIOTLB buffer anywhere in memory")
Signed-off-by: Thiago Jung Bauermann <[email-masked]>
---
 arch/powerpc/mm/mem.c | 3 ++-
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/arch/powerpc/mm/mem.c b/arch/powerpc/mm/mem.c
index afab328d0887..3af991844145 100644
--- a/arch/powerpc/mm/mem.c
+++ b/arch/powerpc/mm/mem.c
@@ -300,7 +300,8 @@ void __init mem_init(void)
 	memblock_set_bottom_up(true);
 	if (is_secure_guest())
 		svm_swiotlb_init();
-	else
+	/* Server machines don't need SWIOTLB if they're not secure guests. */
+	else if (!machine_is(pseries) && !machine_is(powernv))
 		swiotlb_init(0);
 #endif