Subject: [PATCH v11 00/13] huge vmalloc mappings

From: Nicholas Piggin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 14:44:57 +1000

I think I ended up implementing all Christoph's comments because
they turned out better in the end. Cleanups coming in another
series though.

Thanks,
Nick

Since v10:
- Fixed code style, most > 80 colums, tweak patch titles, etc [thanks Christoph]
- Made huge vmalloc code and data structure compile away if unselected
  [Christoph]
- Archs only have to provide arch_vmap_p?d_supported for levels they
  implement [Christoph]

Since v9:
- Fixed intermediate build breakage on x86-32 !PAE [thanks Ding]
- Fixed small page fallback case vm_struct double-free [thanks Ding]

Since v8:
- Fixed nommu compile.
- Added Kconfig option help text
- Added VM_NOHUGE which should help archs implement it [suggested by Rick]

Since v7:
- Rebase, added some acks, compile fix
- Removed "order=" from vmallocinfo, it's a bit confusing (nr_pages
  is in small page size for compatibility).
- Added arch_vmap_pmd_supported() test before starting to allocate
  the large page, rather than only testing it when doing the map, to
  avoid unsupported configs trying to allocate huge pages for no
  reason.

Since v6:
- Fixed a false positive warning introduced in patch 2, found by
  kbuild test robot.

Since v5:
- Split arch changes out better and make the constant folding work
- Avoid most of the 80 column wrap, fix a reference to lib/ioremap.c
- Fix compile error on some archs

Since v4:
- Fixed an off-by-page-order bug in v4
- Several minor cleanups.
- Added page order to /proc/vmallocinfo
- Added hugepage to alloc_large_system_hage output.
- Made an architecture config option, powerpc only for now.

Since v3:
- Fixed an off-by-one bug in a loop
- Fix !CONFIG_HAVE_ARCH_HUGE_VMAP build fail

Nicholas Piggin (13):
  mm/vmalloc: fix HUGE_VMAP regression by enabling huge pages in
    vmalloc_to_page
  mm: apply_to_pte_range warn and fail if a large pte is encountered
  mm/vmalloc: rename vmap_*_range vmap_pages_*_range
  mm/ioremap: rename ioremap_*_range to vmap_*_range
  mm: HUGE_VMAP arch support cleanup
  powerpc: inline huge vmap supported functions
  arm64: inline huge vmap supported functions
  x86: inline huge vmap supported functions
  mm/vmalloc: provide fallback arch huge vmap support functions
  mm: Move vmap_range from mm/ioremap.c to mm/vmalloc.c
  mm/vmalloc: add vmap_range_noflush variant
  mm/vmalloc: Hugepage vmalloc mappings
  powerpc/64s/radix: Enable huge vmalloc mappings

 .../admin-guide/kernel-parameters.txt         |   2 +
 arch/Kconfig                                  |  11 +
 arch/arm64/include/asm/vmalloc.h              |  24 +
 arch/arm64/mm/mmu.c                           |  26 -
 arch/powerpc/Kconfig                          |   1 +
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/vmalloc.h            |  20 +
 arch/powerpc/kernel/module.c                  |  21 +-
 arch/powerpc/mm/book3s64/radix_pgtable.c      |  21 -
 arch/x86/include/asm/vmalloc.h                |  20 +
 arch/x86/mm/ioremap.c                         |  19 -
 arch/x86/mm/pgtable.c                         |  13 -
 include/linux/io.h                            |   9 -
 include/linux/vmalloc.h                       |  46 ++
 init/main.c                                   |   1 -
 mm/ioremap.c                                  | 225 +-------
 mm/memory.c                                   |  66 ++-
 mm/page_alloc.c                               |   5 +-
 mm/vmalloc.c                                  | 484 +++++++++++++++---
 18 files changed, 614 insertions(+), 400 deletions(-)

-- 
2.23.0