Subject: Re: [PATCH 02/10] ARM: disable CONFIG_IDE in footbridge_defconfig

From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 16:59:56 +0000

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 04:18:23PM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 03:15:03PM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux admin wrote:
> > It gets worse than that though - due to a change to remove
> > pcibios_min_io from the generic code, moving it into the ARM
> > architecture code, this has caused a regression that prevents the
> > legacy resources being registered against the bus resource. So even
> > if they are there, they cause probe failures. I haven't found a
> > reasonable way to solve this yet, but until there is, there is no
> > way that the PATA driver can be used as the "legacy mode" support
> > is effectively done via the PCI code assigning virtual IO port
> > resources.
> > 
> > I'm quite surprised that the CY82C693 even works on Alpha - I've
> > asked for a lspci for that last week but nothing has yet been
> > forthcoming from whoever responded to your patch for Alpha - so I
> > can't compare what I'm seeing with what's happening with Alpha.
> 
> That sounds like something we could fix with a quirk for function 2
> in the PCI resource assignment code.  Can you show what vendor and
> device ID function 2 has so that I could try to come up with one?

I already have a quirk in arch/arm/kernel/bios32.c for this - but it
is no longer sufficient due to changes in the PCI layer, where much
of this is documented.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!