Subject: [GIT PULL] retire legacy WR sbc8548 and sbc8641 platforms

From: Paul Gortmaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 13:42:09 -0400

This is unchanged from the original wr_sbc-delete branch sent in January,
other than to add the Acks from Scott in July, and update the baseline.

Built with ppc64 defconfig and mpc85xx_cds_defconfig and mpc86xx_defconfig
just to make sure I didn't fat finger anything in the baseline update.

Original v1 text follows below, from:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email-masked]

It would be nice to get this in and off our collective to-do list.

Thanks,
Paul.

  ---

In v2.6.27 (2008, 917f0af9e5a9) the sbc8260 support was implicitly
retired by not being carried forward through the ppc --> powerpc
device tree transition.

Then, in v3.6 (2012, b048b4e17cbb) we retired the support for the
sbc8560 boards.

Next, in v4.18 (2017, 3bc6cf5a86e5) we retired the support for the
2006 vintage sbc834x boards.

The sbc8548 and sbc8641d boards were maybe 1-2 years newer than the
sbc834x boards, but it is also 3+ years later, so it makes sense to
now retire them as well - which is what is done here.

These two remaining WR boards were based on the Freescale MPC8548-CDS
and the MPC8641D-HPCN reference board implementations.  Having had the
chance to use these and many other Fsl ref boards, I know this:  The
Freescale reference boards were typically produced in limited quantity
and primarily available to BSP developers and hardware designers, and
not likely to have found a 2nd life with hobbyists and/or collectors.

It was good to have that BSP code subjected to mainline review and
hence also widely available back in the day. But given the above, we
should probably also be giving serious consideration to retiring
additional similar age/type reference board platforms as well.

I've always felt it is important for us to be proactive in retiring
old code, since it has a genuine non-zero carrying cost, as described
in the 930d52c012b8 merge log.  But for the here and now, we just
clean up the remaining BSP code that I had added for SBC platforms.

--- 

The following changes since commit e22ce8eb631bdc47a4a4ea7ecf4e4ba499db4f93:

  Linux 5.14-rc7 (2021-08-22 14:24:56 -0700)

are available in the Git repository at:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulg/linux.git wr_sbc-delete-v2

for you to fetch changes up to d44e2dc12ea2112e74cdd25090eeda2727ed09cc:

  MAINTAINERS: update for Paul Gortmaker (2021-08-24 08:19:01 -0400)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Gortmaker (3):
      powerpc: retire sbc8548 board support
      powerpc: retire sbc8641d board support
      MAINTAINERS: update for Paul Gortmaker

 MAINTAINERS                                 |   1 -
 arch/powerpc/boot/Makefile                  |   1 -
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/fsl/sbc8641d.dts      | 176 -----------------
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/sbc8548-altflash.dts  | 111 -----------
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/sbc8548-post.dtsi     | 289 ----------------------------
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/sbc8548-pre.dtsi      |  48 -----
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/sbc8548.dts           | 106 ----------
 arch/powerpc/boot/wrapper                   |   2 +-
 arch/powerpc/configs/85xx/sbc8548_defconfig |  50 -----
 arch/powerpc/configs/mpc85xx_base.config    |   1 -
 arch/powerpc/configs/mpc86xx_base.config    |   1 -
 arch/powerpc/configs/ppc6xx_defconfig       |   1 -
 arch/powerpc/platforms/85xx/Kconfig         |   6 -
 arch/powerpc/platforms/85xx/Makefile        |   1 -
 arch/powerpc/platforms/85xx/sbc8548.c       | 134 -------------
 arch/powerpc/platforms/86xx/Kconfig         |   8 +-
 arch/powerpc/platforms/86xx/Makefile        |   1 -
 arch/powerpc/platforms/86xx/sbc8641d.c      |  87 ---------
 18 files changed, 2 insertions(+), 1022 deletions(-)
 delete mode 100644 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/fsl/sbc8641d.dts
 delete mode 100644 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/sbc8548-altflash.dts
 delete mode 100644 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/sbc8548-post.dtsi
 delete mode 100644 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/sbc8548-pre.dtsi
 delete mode 100644 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/sbc8548.dts
 delete mode 100644 arch/powerpc/configs/85xx/sbc8548_defconfig
 delete mode 100644 arch/powerpc/platforms/85xx/sbc8548.c
 delete mode 100644 arch/powerpc/platforms/86xx/sbc8641d.c