Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 1/3] powerpc/pseries: Parse control memory access error

From: Segher Boessenkool <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 09:47:13 -0500

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 05:06:29PM +0530, Ganesh wrote:
> 
> On 8/25/21 2:54 AM, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> >On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 04:39:57PM +1000, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> >>>+		case MC_ERROR_CTRL_MEM_ACCESS_PTABLE_WALK:
> >>>+			mce_err.u.ra_error_type =
> >>>+			 MCE_RA_ERROR_PAGE_TABLE_WALK_LOAD_STORE_FOREIGN;
> >>That name is ridiculously long, but I guess that's not your fault :)
> >>We can fix it up in a later patch.
> >It also has surprisingly little information content for the 47 chars
> >length it has :-)  What does this even mean?!
> 
> It means control memory access error/real address error is detected during 
> page
> table walk.

This isn't obvious from the name.  The name contains some words your
explanation does not, as well: LOAD, STORE, FOREIGN.  Most importantly,
the name is just a jumble of words, with no apparent connection between
them.

I didn't ask for an explanation, sorry if you misunderstood.  I was just
exploring the many ways this name is baffling :-)

Segher