Subject: [patch V2 00/23] genirq/msi, PCI/MSI: Spring cleaning - Part 1

From: Thomas Gleixner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 23:27:23 +0100 (CET)

The [PCI] MSI code has gained quite some warts over time. A recent
discussion unearthed a shortcoming: the lack of support for expanding
PCI/MSI-X vectors after initialization of MSI-X.

PCI/MSI-X has no requirement to setup all vectors when MSI-X is enabled in
the device. The non-used vectors have just to be masked in the vector
table. For PCI/MSI this is not possible because the number of vectors
cannot be changed after initialization.

The PCI/MSI code, but also the core MSI irq domain code are built around
the assumption that all required vectors are installed at initialization
time and freed when the device is shut down by the driver.

Supporting dynamic expansion at least for MSI-X is important for VFIO so
that the host side interrupts for passthrough devices can be installed on
demand.

This is the first part of a large (total 101 patches) series which
refactors the [PCI]MSI infrastructure to make runtime expansion of MSI-X
vectors possible. The last part (10 patches) provide this functionality.

The first part is mostly a cleanup which consolidates code, moves the PCI
MSI code into a separate directory and splits it up into several parts.

No functional change intended except for patch 2/N which changes the
behaviour of pci_get_vector()/affinity() to get rid of the assumption that
the provided index is the "index" into the descriptor list instead of using
it as the actual MSI[X] index as seen by the hardware. This would break
users of sparse allocated MSI-X entries, but non of them use these
functions.

This series is based on 5.16-rc2 and also available via git:

   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tglx/devel.git msi-v2-part-1

For the curious who can't wait for the next part to arrive the full series
is available via:

   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tglx/devel.git msi-v2-part-3

V1 of this series can be found here:

   https://lore.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]

Changes versus V1:

  - Add missing includes and use correct variable name in legacy code - Cedric

  - Moved the MSI lock from struct device to struct pci_dev - New patch

    This is really PCI/MSI specific and there is no point to have it
    in every struct device. Neither does it make sense to hide it
    in msi_device_data as the V1 series part 2 did.

  - Picked up Reviewed/Tested/Acked-by tags as appropriate

Thanks,

	tglx
---
 arch/powerpc/platforms/4xx/msi.c            |  281 ------------
 b/Documentation/driver-api/pci/pci.rst      |    2 
 b/arch/mips/pci/msi-octeon.c                |   32 -
 b/arch/powerpc/platforms/4xx/Makefile       |    1 
 b/arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/axon_msi.c    |    2 
 b/arch/powerpc/platforms/powernv/pci-ioda.c |    4 
 b/arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/msi.c      |    6 
 b/arch/powerpc/sysdev/Kconfig               |    6 
 b/arch/s390/pci/pci_irq.c                   |    4 
 b/arch/sparc/kernel/pci_msi.c               |    4 
 b/arch/x86/hyperv/irqdomain.c               |   55 --
 b/arch/x86/include/asm/x86_init.h           |    6 
 b/arch/x86/include/asm/xen/hypervisor.h     |    8 
 b/arch/x86/kernel/apic/msi.c                |    8 
 b/arch/x86/kernel/x86_init.c                |   12 
 b/arch/x86/pci/xen.c                        |   19 
 b/drivers/base/core.c                       |    1 
 b/drivers/irqchip/irq-gic-v2m.c             |    1 
 b/drivers/irqchip/irq-gic-v3-its-pci-msi.c  |    1 
 b/drivers/irqchip/irq-gic-v3-mbi.c          |    1 
 b/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath11k/pci.c     |    2 
 b/drivers/pci/Makefile                      |    3 
 b/drivers/pci/msi/Makefile                  |    7 
 b/drivers/pci/msi/irqdomain.c               |  267 +++++++++++
 b/drivers/pci/msi/legacy.c                  |   79 +++
 b/drivers/pci/msi/msi.c                     |  647 ++++------------------------
 b/drivers/pci/msi/msi.h                     |   39 +
 b/drivers/pci/msi/pcidev_msi.c              |   43 +
 b/drivers/pci/pci-sysfs.c                   |    7 
 b/drivers/pci/probe.c                       |    4 
 b/drivers/pci/xen-pcifront.c                |    2 
 b/include/linux/device.h                    |    2 
 b/include/linux/msi.h                       |  136 ++---
 b/include/linux/pci.h                       |    2 
 b/kernel/irq/msi.c                          |   41 +
 35 files changed, 702 insertions(+), 1033 deletions(-)