Subject: [PATCH v2 0/8] mm: COW fixes part 3: reliable GUP R/W FOLL_GET of anonymous pages

From: David Hildenbrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 18:43:21 +0200

More information on the general COW issues can be found at [2]. This series
is based on latest linus/master and [1]:
	[PATCH v3 00/16] mm: COW fixes part 2: reliable GUP pins of
	anonymous pages

v2 is located at:
	https://github.com/davidhildenbrand/linux/tree/cow_fixes_part_3_v2

This series fixes memory corruptions when a GUP R/W reference
(FOLL_WRITE | FOLL_GET) was taken on an anonymous page and COW logic fails
to detect exclusivity of the page to then replacing the anonymous page by
a copy in the page table: The GUP reference lost synchronicity with the
pages mapped into the page tables. This series focuses on x86, arm64,
s390x and ppc64/book3s -- other architectures are fairly easy to support
by implementing __HAVE_ARCH_PTE_SWP_EXCLUSIVE.

This primarily fixes the O_DIRECT memory corruptions that can happen on
concurrent swapout, whereby we lose DMA reads to a page (modifying the user
page by writing to it).

O_DIRECT currently uses FOLL_GET for short-term (!FOLL_LONGTERM)
DMA from/to a user page. In the long run, we want to convert it to properly
use FOLL_PIN, and John is working on it, but that might take a while and
might not be easy to backport. In the meantime, let's restore what used to
work before we started modifying our COW logic: make R/W FOLL_GET
references reliable as long as there is no fork() after GUP involved.

This is just the natural follow-up of part 2, that will also further
reduce "wrong COW" on the swapin path, for example, when we cannot remove
a page from the swapcache due to concurrent writeback, or if we have two
threads faulting on the same swapped-out page. Fixing O_DIRECT is just a
nice side-product

This issue, including other related COW issues, has been summarized in [3]
under 2):
"
  2. Intra Process Memory Corruptions due to Wrong COW (FOLL_GET)

  It was discovered that we can create a memory corruption by reading a
  file via O_DIRECT to a part (e.g., first 512 bytes) of a page,
  concurrently writing to an unrelated part (e.g., last byte) of the same
  page, and concurrently write-protecting the page via clear_refs
  SOFTDIRTY tracking [6].

  For the reproducer, the issue is that O_DIRECT grabs a reference of the
  target page (via FOLL_GET) and clear_refs write-protects the relevant
  page table entry. On successive write access to the page from the
  process itself, we wrongly COW the page when resolving the write fault,
  resulting in a loss of synchronicity and consequently a memory corruption.

  While some people might think that using clear_refs in this combination
  is a corner cases, it turns out to be a more generic problem unfortunately.

  For example, it was just recently discovered that we can similarly
  create a memory corruption without clear_refs, simply by concurrently
  swapping out the buffer pages [7]. Note that we nowadays even use the
  swap infrastructure in Linux without an actual swap disk/partition: the
  prime example is zram which is enabled as default under Fedora [10].

  The root issue is that a write-fault on a page that has additional
  references results in a COW and thereby a loss of synchronicity
  and consequently a memory corruption if two parties believe they are
  referencing the same page.
"

We don't particularly care about R/O FOLL_GET references: they were never
reliable and O_DIRECT doesn't expect to observe modifications from a page
after DMA was started.

Note that:
* this only fixes the issue on x86, arm64, s390x and ppc64/book3s
  ("enterprise architectures"). Other architectures have to implement
  __HAVE_ARCH_PTE_SWP_EXCLUSIVE to achieve the same.
* this does *not * consider any kind of fork() after taking the reference:
  fork() after GUP never worked reliably with FOLL_GET.
* Not losing PG_anon_exclusive during swapout was the last remaining
  piece. KSM already makes sure that there are no other references on
  a page before considering it for sharing. Page migration maintains
  PG_anon_exclusive and simply fails when there are additional references
  (freezing the refcount fails). Only swapout code dropped the
  PG_anon_exclusive flag because it requires more work to remember +
  restore it.

With this series in place, most COW issues of [3] are fixed on said
architectures. Other architectures can implement
__HAVE_ARCH_PTE_SWP_EXCLUSIVE fairly easily.

[1] https://lkml.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]
[2] https://lkml.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]
[3] https://lore.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]

v2 -> v3:
* Rebased and retested
* "arm64/pgtable: support __HAVE_ARCH_PTE_SWP_EXCLUSIVE"
  -> Add RB and a comment to the patch description
* "s390/pgtable: cleanup description of swp pte layout"
  -> Added
* "s390/pgtable: support __HAVE_ARCH_PTE_SWP_EXCLUSIVE"
  -> Use new set_pte_bit()/clear_pte_bit()
  -> Fixups comments/patch description

David Hildenbrand (8):
  mm/swap: remember PG_anon_exclusive via a swp pte bit
  mm/debug_vm_pgtable: add tests for __HAVE_ARCH_PTE_SWP_EXCLUSIVE
  x86/pgtable: support __HAVE_ARCH_PTE_SWP_EXCLUSIVE
  arm64/pgtable: support __HAVE_ARCH_PTE_SWP_EXCLUSIVE
  s390/pgtable: cleanup description of swp pte layout
  s390/pgtable: support __HAVE_ARCH_PTE_SWP_EXCLUSIVE
  powerpc/pgtable: remove _PAGE_BIT_SWAP_TYPE for book3s
  powerpc/pgtable: support __HAVE_ARCH_PTE_SWP_EXCLUSIVE for book3s

 arch/arm64/include/asm/pgtable-prot.h        |  1 +
 arch/arm64/include/asm/pgtable.h             | 23 ++++++--
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/book3s/64/pgtable.h | 31 ++++++++---
 arch/s390/include/asm/pgtable.h              | 36 +++++++++----
 arch/x86/include/asm/pgtable.h               | 16 ++++++
 arch/x86/include/asm/pgtable_64.h            |  4 +-
 arch/x86/include/asm/pgtable_types.h         |  5 ++
 include/linux/pgtable.h                      | 29 +++++++++++
 include/linux/swapops.h                      |  2 +
 mm/debug_vm_pgtable.c                        | 15 ++++++
 mm/memory.c                                  | 55 ++++++++++++++++++--
 mm/rmap.c                                    | 19 ++++---
 mm/swapfile.c                                | 13 ++++-
 13 files changed, 216 insertions(+), 33 deletions(-)

-- 
2.35.1