Subject: [PATCH v3 06/15] kbuild: record symbol versions in *.cmd files

From: Masahiro Yamada <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 16:22:35 +0900

When CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y, the output from genksyms is saved in
separate *.symversions files, and will be used much later when
CONFIG_LTO_CLANG=y because it is impossible to update LLVM bit code
here.

This approach is not robust because:

 - *.symversions may or may not exist. If *.symversions does not
   exist, we never know if it is missing for legitimate reason
   (i.e. no EXPORT_SYMBOL) or something bad has happened (for
   example, the user accidentally deleted it). Once it occurs,
   it is not self-healing because *.symversions is generated
   as a side effect.

 - stale (i.e. invalid) *.symversions might be picked up if an
   object is generated in a non-ordinary way, and corresponding
   *.symversions (, which was generated by old builds) just happen
   to exist.

A more robust approach is to save symbol versions in *.cmd files
because:

 - *.cmd always exists (if the object is generated by if_changed
   rule or friends). Even if the user accidentally deletes it,
   it will be regenerated in the next build.

 - *.cmd is always re-generated when the object is updated. This
   avoid stale version information being picked up.

I will remove *.symversions later.

Signed-off-by: Masahiro Yamada <[email-masked]>
Tested-by: Nicolas Schier <[email-masked]>
Reviewed-by: Nicolas Schier <[email-masked]>
---

(no changes since v2)

Changes in v2:
  - Fix CONFIG_MODULE_REL_CRCS=y case

 scripts/Makefile.build | 7 +++++++
 1 file changed, 7 insertions(+)

diff --git a/scripts/Makefile.build b/scripts/Makefile.build
index f6a506318795..a1023868775f 100644
--- a/scripts/Makefile.build
+++ b/scripts/Makefile.build
@@ -171,10 +171,17 @@ ifdef CONFIG_MODVERSIONS
 
 # Generate .o.symversions files for each .o with exported symbols, and link these
 # to the kernel and/or modules at the end.
+
+genksyms_format_rel_crc := [^_]*__crc_\([^ ]*\) = \.; LONG(\([^)]*\)).*
+genksyms_format_normal := __crc_\(.*\) = \(.*\);
+genksyms_format := $(if $(CONFIG_MODULE_REL_CRCS),$(genksyms_format_rel_crc),$(genksyms_format_normal))
+
 gen_symversions =								\
 	if $(NM) $@ 2>/dev/null | grep -q __ksymtab; then			\
 		$(call cmd_gensymtypes_$(1),$(KBUILD_SYMTYPES),$(@:.o=.symtypes)) \
 		    > $@.symversions;						\
+		sed -n 's/$(genksyms_format)/$(pound)SYMVER \1 \2/p' $@.symversions \
+			>> $(dot-target).cmd;					\
 	else									\
 		rm -f $@.symversions;						\
 	fi
-- 
2.32.0