Subject: Re: mainline build failure of powerpc allmodconfig for prom_init_check

From: Segher Boessenkool <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 15:56:15 -0500

On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 01:29:07PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 1:25 PM Sudip Mukherjee
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > And the generated assembly still has the memset for "struct prom_args".
> 
> Strange. That smells like a compiler bug to me.
> 
> But I can't read powerpc assembly code - it's been too many years, and
> even back when I did read it I hated how the register "names" worked.
> 
> Maybe it was never the args array, and it was about the other fields.
> Not that that makes any sense either, but it makes more sense than the
> compiler turning a series of volatile accesses into a memset.

Calling mem* on a volatile object (or a struct containing one) is not
valid.  I opened gcc.gnu.org/PR106335.  Thanks for bringing this up!

Segher