Subject: [PATCH v3 00/16] objtool: Enable and implement --mcount option on powerpc

From: Sathvika Vasireddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 13:50:04 +0530

This patchset enables and implements objtool --mcount
option on powerpc. This applies atop powerpc/merge branch.

Changelog:

v3:

* Patch 01/16 - Rework patch subject.
	      -	Rework changelog.
	      - Add Reviewed-by tag from Christophe Leroy.

* Patch 02/16 - Rework changelog to update details based on feedback
 		from Nicholas Piggin and Michael Ellerman.
	      - Use quotes instead of __stringify macro, based on
		suggestion from Christophe Leroy.

* Patch 03/16 - Add Reviewed-by tag from Christophe Leroy.
	      - Based on Christophe's suggestion, keep all <linux/...>
	        before <asm/...>.
	      - Rework changelog.

* Patch 04/16 - Add Reviewed-by tag from Christophe Leroy.

* Patch 05/16 - Add Reviewed-by tag from Christophe Leroy.

* Patch 06/16 - No change. 

* Patch 07/16 - Add Reviewed-by tag from Christophe Leroy.

* Patch 08/16 - Add Acked-by tag from Peter Zijlstra.

* Patch 09/16 - Add Acked-by tag from Peter Zijlstra.

* Patch 10/16 - Reorder local variable declarations to use reverse
		xmas tree format. 
	      - Add Signed-off-by tag from Sathvika Vasireddy indicating
	        changes done.
	      - Add Acked-by tag from Peter Zijlstra.

* Patch 11/16 - Update changelog to indicate that powerpc kernel does
		not support nop'ed out ftrace locations. 
	      - Add Acked-by tag from Peter Zijlstra.
	      - Add Reviewed-by tag from Christophe Leroy.

* Patch 12/16 - Per Christophe's comment, rework changelog. 

* Patch 13/16 - Add Acked-by tag from Peter Zijlstra.
              - Add Reviewed-by tag from Christophe Leroy.

* Patch 14/16 - Simplify arch_ftrace_match() function, based on
 		Christophe's suggestion. 
              - Add Reviewed-by tag from Christophe Leroy. 

* Patch 15/16 - Include code from Christophe Leroy to use local vars for
 		type and imm, and to adapt len for prefixed
		instructions.

* Patch 16/16 - Based on suggestion from Christophe Leroy, setup
                immediate value calculation outside the check for
                specific instruction under case 18. 
	      - Set instruction type to INSN_CALL for 'bla'
	        instruction as well.
		
v2:

* Change subject of patch 01/16
* As suggested by Christophe Leroy, add barrier_before_unreachable()
before __builtin_unreachable() to work around a gcc problem.
* Fix issues reported by Kernel Test Robot.
* Include suggestions from Christophe Leroy, and change commit 
messages for patches 01/16, 02/16, 03/16, 05/16.

Christophe Leroy (4):
  objtool: Fix SEGFAULT
  objtool: Use target file endianness instead of a compiled constant
  objtool: Use target file class size instead of a compiled constant
  powerpc: Fix objtool unannotated intra-function call warnings on PPC32

Sathvika Vasireddy (12):
  powerpc: Fix __WARN_FLAGS() for use with Objtool
  powerpc: Override __ALIGN and __ALIGN_STR macros
  powerpc: Fix objtool unannotated intra-function call warnings
  powerpc: Curb objtool unannotated intra-function warnings
  powerpc: Skip objtool from running on drivers/crypto/vmx/aesp8-ppc.o
  powerpc: Skip objtool from running on VDSO files
  objtool: Add --mnop as an option to --mcount
  objtool: Read special sections with alts only when specific options are selected
  objtool: Use macros to define arch specific reloc types
  objtool: Add arch specific function arch_ftrace_match()
  objtool/powerpc: Enable objtool to be built on ppc
  objtool/powerpc: Add --mcount specific implementation

 Makefile                                      |   4 +-
 arch/powerpc/Kconfig                          |   2 +
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/asm.h                |   7 ++
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/bug.h                |   3 +-
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/linkage.h            |   3 +
 arch/powerpc/kernel/cpu_setup_6xx.S           |  26 +++--
 arch/powerpc/kernel/cpu_setup_fsl_booke.S     |   8 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/entry_32.S                |   9 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/entry_64.S                |   2 +
 arch/powerpc/kernel/exceptions-64s.S          |   7 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/head_40x.S                |   5 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/head_64.S                 |   7 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/head_8xx.S                |   5 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/head_book3s_32.S          |  29 +++--
 arch/powerpc/kernel/head_fsl_booke.S          |   5 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/misc_64.S                 |   4 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/swsusp_32.S               |   5 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/vdso/Makefile             |   2 +
 arch/powerpc/kernel/vector.S                  |   4 +-
 arch/powerpc/kvm/book3s_hv_interrupts.S       |   4 +-
 arch/powerpc/kvm/book3s_hv_rmhandlers.S       |  25 +++--
 arch/powerpc/kvm/fpu.S                        |  17 ++-
 arch/powerpc/platforms/52xx/lite5200_sleep.S  |  15 ++-
 arch/x86/Kconfig                              |   1 +
 drivers/crypto/vmx/Makefile                   |   2 +
 scripts/Makefile.lib                          |   1 +
 tools/objtool/arch/powerpc/Build              |   2 +
 tools/objtool/arch/powerpc/decode.c           | 101 ++++++++++++++++++
 .../arch/powerpc/include/arch/cfi_regs.h      |  11 ++
 tools/objtool/arch/powerpc/include/arch/elf.h |  10 ++
 .../arch/powerpc/include/arch/special.h       |  21 ++++
 tools/objtool/arch/powerpc/special.c          |  19 ++++
 tools/objtool/arch/x86/decode.c               |   5 +
 tools/objtool/arch/x86/include/arch/elf.h     |   2 +
 .../arch/x86/include/arch/endianness.h        |   9 --
 tools/objtool/builtin-check.c                 |  14 +++
 tools/objtool/check.c                         |  53 ++++-----
 tools/objtool/elf.c                           |   8 +-
 tools/objtool/include/objtool/arch.h          |   2 +
 tools/objtool/include/objtool/builtin.h       |   1 +
 tools/objtool/include/objtool/elf.h           |   8 ++
 tools/objtool/include/objtool/endianness.h    |  32 +++---
 tools/objtool/orc_dump.c                      |  11 +-
 tools/objtool/orc_gen.c                       |   4 +-
 tools/objtool/special.c                       |   3 +-
 45 files changed, 411 insertions(+), 107 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 arch/powerpc/include/asm/asm.h
 create mode 100644 tools/objtool/arch/powerpc/Build
 create mode 100644 tools/objtool/arch/powerpc/decode.c
 create mode 100644 tools/objtool/arch/powerpc/include/arch/cfi_regs.h
 create mode 100644 tools/objtool/arch/powerpc/include/arch/elf.h
 create mode 100644 tools/objtool/arch/powerpc/include/arch/special.h
 create mode 100644 tools/objtool/arch/powerpc/special.c
 delete mode 100644 tools/objtool/arch/x86/include/arch/endianness.h

-- 
2.31.1