Subject: [RFC PATCH 01/19] powerpc/perf: callchain validate kernel stack pointer bounds

From: Nicholas Piggin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 15:54:22 +1000

The interrupt frame detection and loads from the hypothetical pt_regs
are not bounds-checked. The next-frame validation only bounds-checks
STACK_FRAME_OVERHEAD, which does not include the pt_regs. Add another
test for this.

Signed-off-by: Nicholas Piggin <[email-masked]>
---

Could the user set r1 to be equal to the address matching the first
interrupt frame - STACK_INT_FRAME_SIZE, which is in the previous page
due to the kernel redzone, and induce the kernel to load the marker from
there? Possibly it could cause a crash at least.

It also seems a bit rude to put a fancy next-frame-validation out in
perf/ rather than with the rest of the frame validation code.

Thanks,
Nick

 arch/powerpc/perf/callchain.c | 1 +
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)

diff --git a/arch/powerpc/perf/callchain.c b/arch/powerpc/perf/callchain.c
index 082f6d0308a4..8718289c051d 100644
--- a/arch/powerpc/perf/callchain.c
+++ b/arch/powerpc/perf/callchain.c
@@ -61,6 +61,7 @@ perf_callchain_kernel(struct perf_callchain_entry_ctx *entry, struct pt_regs *re
 		next_sp = fp[0];
 
 		if (next_sp == sp + STACK_INT_FRAME_SIZE &&
+		    validate_sp(sp, current, STACK_INT_FRAME_SIZE) &&
 		    fp[STACK_FRAME_MARKER] == STACK_FRAME_REGS_MARKER) {
 			/*
 			 * This looks like an interrupt frame for an
-- 
2.37.2