Subject: [PATCH 04/13] powerpc/rtas: avoid scheduling in rtas_os_term()

From: Nathan Lynch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 09:07:42 -0600

It's unsafe to use rtas_busy_delay() to handle a busy status from
the ibm,os-term RTAS function in rtas_os_term():

Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x0000000b
BUG: sleeping function called from invalid context at arch/powerpc/kernel/rtas.c:618
in_atomic(): 1, irqs_disabled(): 1, non_block: 0, pid: 1, name: swapper/0
preempt_count: 2, expected: 0
CPU: 7 PID: 1 Comm: swapper/0 Tainted: G      D            6.0.0-rc5-02182-gf8553a572277-dirty #9
Call Trace:
[c000000007b8f000] [c000000001337110] dump_stack_lvl+0xb4/0x110 (unreliable)
[c000000007b8f040] [c0000000002440e4] __might_resched+0x394/0x3c0
[c000000007b8f0e0] [c00000000004f680] rtas_busy_delay+0x120/0x1b0
[c000000007b8f100] [c000000000052d04] rtas_os_term+0xb8/0xf4
[c000000007b8f180] [c0000000001150fc] pseries_panic+0x50/0x68
[c000000007b8f1f0] [c000000000036354] ppc_panic_platform_handler+0x34/0x50
[c000000007b8f210] [c0000000002303c4] notifier_call_chain+0xd4/0x1c0
[c000000007b8f2b0] [c0000000002306cc] atomic_notifier_call_chain+0xac/0x1c0
[c000000007b8f2f0] [c0000000001d62b8] panic+0x228/0x4d0
[c000000007b8f390] [c0000000001e573c] do_exit+0x140c/0x1420
[c000000007b8f480] [c0000000001e586c] make_task_dead+0xdc/0x200

Use rtas_busy_delay_time() instead, which signals without side effects
whether to attempt the ibm,os-term RTAS call again.

Signed-off-by: Nathan Lynch <[email-masked]>
---
 arch/powerpc/kernel/rtas.c | 7 ++++++-
 1 file changed, 6 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/arch/powerpc/kernel/rtas.c b/arch/powerpc/kernel/rtas.c
index 81e4996012b7..51f0508593a7 100644
--- a/arch/powerpc/kernel/rtas.c
+++ b/arch/powerpc/kernel/rtas.c
@@ -965,10 +965,15 @@ void rtas_os_term(char *str)
 
 	snprintf(rtas_os_term_buf, 2048, "OS panic: %s", str);
 
+	/*
+	 * Keep calling as long as RTAS returns a "try again" status,
+	 * but don't use rtas_busy_delay(), which potentially
+	 * schedules.
+	 */
 	do {
 		status = rtas_call(ibm_os_term_token, 1, 1, NULL,
 				   __pa(rtas_os_term_buf));
-	} while (rtas_busy_delay(status));
+	} while (rtas_busy_delay_time(status));
 
 	if (status != 0)
 		printk(KERN_EMERG "ibm,os-term call failed %d\n", status);
-- 
2.37.1