Subject: [PATCH v2 0/7] Expand selftest utils

From: Benjamin Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 10:10:56 +1100

(No changes to contents from v1, added signed-off-by's and fixed up commit messages)

Started this when writing tests for a feature I'm working on, needing a way to
read/write numbers to system files. After writing some utils to safely handle
file IO and parsing, I realised I'd made the ~6th file read/write implementation
and only(?) number parser that checks all the failure modes when expecting to
parse a single number from a file.

So these utils ended up becoming this series. I also modified some other test
utils I came across while doing so. My understanding is selftests are not expected
to be backported, so I wasn't concerned about only introducing new utils and leaving
the existing implementations be.

Changes:
- Use the mtfspr/mfspr macros where possible over inline asm
- Fix potential non-null terminated buffer in ptrace tests
- Add read_file / write_file to read and write raw bytes given appropriate
  path and buffers. Replace hand rolled read/write with this where easy.
- Make read/write_debugfs_file work on byte buffers and introduce
  read/write_debugfs_int for int specific contents. This more naturally aligns
  with the read/write_file functions, and allows for future *_long, *_ulong
  variants when required.
- Add an error checking number parser. It's an ugly function generating macro.
  The issue is the result param type can't be made generic, so there needs to
  be a separate definition per type (or at least for signed/unsigned). Also
  can't seem to use generics with the variable type declaration, so the max
  sized type for the input sign has to be specified manually.
  It's at least grep-able and language servers recognise it as defining
  parse_int, etc., though.
- Add the read_long, write_long, etc., utils that combine file IO and parsing.
  These are the utils I really wanted, useful for system files that are just
  numbers.
- Add an allocating file read for when the buffer is potentially too big to
  preallocate on the stack or needs to live especially long.

Benjamin Gray (7):
  selftests/powerpc: Use mfspr/mtspr macros
  selftests/powerpc: Add ptrace setup_core_pattern() null-terminator
  selftests/powerpc: Add generic read/write file util
  selftests/powerpc: Add read/write debugfs file, int
  selftests/powerpc: Parse long/unsigned long value safely
  selftests/powerpc: Add {read,write}_{long,ulong}
  selftests/powerpc: Add automatically allocating read_file

 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/dscr/dscr.h   |  56 +---
 .../selftests/powerpc/dscr/dscr_sysfs_test.c  |  23 +-
 .../testing/selftests/powerpc/include/utils.h |  18 +-
 .../selftests/powerpc/nx-gzip/gzfht_test.c    |  52 +--
 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/pmu/lib.c     |  35 +-
 .../selftests/powerpc/ptrace/core-pkey.c      |  28 +-
 .../selftests/powerpc/ptrace/ptrace-hwbreak.c |   6 +-
 .../testing/selftests/powerpc/ptrace/ptrace.h |   5 +-
 .../selftests/powerpc/security/entry_flush.c  |  12 +-
 .../selftests/powerpc/security/flush_utils.c  |   3 +-
 .../selftests/powerpc/security/rfi_flush.c    |  12 +-
 .../powerpc/security/uaccess_flush.c          |  18 +-
 .../selftests/powerpc/syscalls/Makefile       |   2 +-
 .../selftests/powerpc/syscalls/rtas_filter.c  |  80 +----
 tools/testing/selftests/powerpc/utils.c       | 314 ++++++++++++++----
 15 files changed, 341 insertions(+), 323 deletions(-)

base-commit: 247f34f7b80357943234f93f247a1ae6b6c3a740
--
2.38.1