Subject: [PATCH v4 0/7] introduce vm_flags modifier functions

From: Suren Baghdasaryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 11:37:45 -0800

This patchset was originally published as a part of per-VMA locking [1] and
was split after suggestion that it's viable on its own and to facilitate
the review process. It is now a preprequisite for the next version of per-VMA
lock patchset, which reuses vm_flags modifier functions to lock the VMA when
vm_flags are being updated.

VMA vm_flags modifications are usually done under exclusive mmap_lock
protection because this attrubute affects other decisions like VMA merging
or splitting and races should be prevented. Introduce vm_flags modifier
functions to enforce correct locking.

The patchset applies cleanly over mm-unstable branch of mm tree.

Changes since v3 [2]
- Fixed build breakage in nommu.c introduced in previous version,
per Andrew Morton
- Added back data_race() hint in vm_area_dup, per Mel Gorman
- Renamed vm_flags modifiers, per Andrew Morton, Mike Rapoport and Mel Gorman
- Changed vm_flags_mod to reset vm_flags with one assignment, per Mel Gorman
- Added comments about the need to copy vm_flags before ksm_madvise,
per Mel Gorman
- Added clarifications for __vm_flags_mod usage, per Mel Gorman

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/
[2] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email-masked]/

Suren Baghdasaryan (7):
  kernel/fork: convert vma assignment to a memcpy
  mm: introduce vma->vm_flags wrapper functions
  mm: replace VM_LOCKED_CLEAR_MASK with VM_LOCKED_MASK
  mm: replace vma->vm_flags direct modifications with modifier calls
  mm: replace vma->vm_flags indirect modification in ksm_madvise
  mm: introduce __vm_flags_mod and use it in untrack_pfn
  mm: export dump_mm()

 arch/arm/kernel/process.c                     |  2 +-
 arch/ia64/mm/init.c                           |  8 +--
 arch/loongarch/include/asm/tlb.h              |  2 +-
 arch/powerpc/kvm/book3s_hv_uvmem.c            |  6 +-
 arch/powerpc/kvm/book3s_xive_native.c         |  2 +-
 arch/powerpc/mm/book3s64/subpage_prot.c       |  2 +-
 arch/powerpc/platforms/book3s/vas-api.c       |  2 +-
 arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/spufs/file.c      | 14 ++---
 arch/s390/mm/gmap.c                           |  9 ++-
 arch/x86/entry/vsyscall/vsyscall_64.c         |  2 +-
 arch/x86/kernel/cpu/sgx/driver.c              |  2 +-
 arch/x86/kernel/cpu/sgx/virt.c                |  2 +-
 arch/x86/mm/pat/memtype.c                     | 14 +++--
 arch/x86/um/mem_32.c                          |  2 +-
 drivers/acpi/pfr_telemetry.c                  |  2 +-
 drivers/android/binder.c                      |  3 +-
 drivers/char/mspec.c                          |  2 +-
 drivers/crypto/hisilicon/qm.c                 |  2 +-
 drivers/dax/device.c                          |  2 +-
 drivers/dma/idxd/cdev.c                       |  2 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/amdgpu_gem.c       |  2 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdkfd/kfd_chardev.c      |  4 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdkfd/kfd_doorbell.c     |  4 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdkfd/kfd_events.c       |  4 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdkfd/kfd_process.c      |  4 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/drm_gem.c                     |  2 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/drm_gem_dma_helper.c          |  3 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/drm_gem_shmem_helper.c        |  2 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/drm_vm.c                      |  8 +--
 drivers/gpu/drm/etnaviv/etnaviv_gem.c         |  2 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/exynos/exynos_drm_gem.c       |  4 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/gma500/framebuffer.c          |  2 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/i810/i810_dma.c               |  2 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/i915/gem/i915_gem_mman.c      |  4 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/mediatek/mtk_drm_gem.c        |  2 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/msm/msm_gem.c                 |  2 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/omapdrm/omap_gem.c            |  3 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/rockchip/rockchip_drm_gem.c   |  3 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/tegra/gem.c                   |  5 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/ttm/ttm_bo_vm.c               |  3 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/virtio/virtgpu_vram.c         |  2 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/vmwgfx/vmwgfx_ttm_glue.c      |  2 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/xen/xen_drm_front_gem.c       |  3 +-
 drivers/hsi/clients/cmt_speech.c              |  2 +-
 drivers/hwtracing/intel_th/msu.c              |  2 +-
 drivers/hwtracing/stm/core.c                  |  2 +-
 drivers/infiniband/hw/hfi1/file_ops.c         |  4 +-
 drivers/infiniband/hw/mlx5/main.c             |  4 +-
 drivers/infiniband/hw/qib/qib_file_ops.c      | 13 ++---
 drivers/infiniband/hw/usnic/usnic_ib_verbs.c  |  2 +-
 .../infiniband/hw/vmw_pvrdma/pvrdma_verbs.c   |  2 +-
 .../common/videobuf2/videobuf2-dma-contig.c   |  2 +-
 .../common/videobuf2/videobuf2-vmalloc.c      |  2 +-
 drivers/media/v4l2-core/videobuf-dma-contig.c |  2 +-
 drivers/media/v4l2-core/videobuf-dma-sg.c     |  4 +-
 drivers/media/v4l2-core/videobuf-vmalloc.c    |  2 +-
 drivers/misc/cxl/context.c                    |  2 +-
 drivers/misc/habanalabs/common/memory.c       |  2 +-
 drivers/misc/habanalabs/gaudi/gaudi.c         |  4 +-
 drivers/misc/habanalabs/gaudi2/gaudi2.c       |  8 +--
 drivers/misc/habanalabs/goya/goya.c           |  4 +-
 drivers/misc/ocxl/context.c                   |  4 +-
 drivers/misc/ocxl/sysfs.c                     |  2 +-
 drivers/misc/open-dice.c                      |  4 +-
 drivers/misc/sgi-gru/grufile.c                |  4 +-
 drivers/misc/uacce/uacce.c                    |  2 +-
 drivers/sbus/char/oradax.c                    |  2 +-
 drivers/scsi/cxlflash/ocxl_hw.c               |  2 +-
 drivers/scsi/sg.c                             |  2 +-
 .../staging/media/atomisp/pci/hmm/hmm_bo.c    |  2 +-
 drivers/staging/media/deprecated/meye/meye.c  |  4 +-
 .../media/deprecated/stkwebcam/stk-webcam.c   |  2 +-
 drivers/target/target_core_user.c             |  2 +-
 drivers/uio/uio.c                             |  2 +-
 drivers/usb/core/devio.c                      |  3 +-
 drivers/usb/mon/mon_bin.c                     |  3 +-
 drivers/vdpa/vdpa_user/iova_domain.c          |  2 +-
 drivers/vfio/pci/vfio_pci_core.c              |  2 +-
 drivers/vhost/vdpa.c                          |  2 +-
 drivers/video/fbdev/68328fb.c                 |  2 +-
 drivers/video/fbdev/core/fb_defio.c           |  4 +-
 drivers/xen/gntalloc.c                        |  2 +-
 drivers/xen/gntdev.c                          |  4 +-
 drivers/xen/privcmd-buf.c                     |  2 +-
 drivers/xen/privcmd.c                         |  4 +-
 fs/aio.c                                      |  2 +-
 fs/cramfs/inode.c                             |  2 +-
 fs/erofs/data.c                               |  2 +-
 fs/exec.c                                     |  4 +-
 fs/ext4/file.c                                |  2 +-
 fs/fuse/dax.c                                 |  2 +-
 fs/hugetlbfs/inode.c                          |  4 +-
 fs/orangefs/file.c                            |  3 +-
 fs/proc/task_mmu.c                            |  2 +-
 fs/proc/vmcore.c                              |  3 +-
 fs/userfaultfd.c                              |  2 +-
 fs/xfs/xfs_file.c                             |  2 +-
 include/linux/mm.h                            | 58 +++++++++++++++++--
 include/linux/mm_types.h                      | 10 +++-
 include/linux/pgtable.h                       |  5 +-
 kernel/bpf/ringbuf.c                          |  4 +-
 kernel/bpf/syscall.c                          |  4 +-
 kernel/events/core.c                          |  2 +-
 kernel/fork.c                                 |  4 +-
 kernel/kcov.c                                 |  2 +-
 kernel/relay.c                                |  2 +-
 mm/debug.c                                    |  1 +
 mm/hugetlb.c                                  |  4 +-
 mm/madvise.c                                  |  2 +-
 mm/memory.c                                   | 19 +++---
 mm/memremap.c                                 |  4 +-
 mm/mlock.c                                    | 12 ++--
 mm/mmap.c                                     | 32 +++++-----
 mm/mprotect.c                                 |  2 +-
 mm/mremap.c                                   |  8 +--
 mm/nommu.c                                    | 11 ++--
 mm/secretmem.c                                |  2 +-
 mm/shmem.c                                    |  2 +-
 mm/vmalloc.c                                  |  2 +-
 net/ipv4/tcp.c                                |  4 +-
 security/selinux/selinuxfs.c                  |  6 +-
 sound/core/oss/pcm_oss.c                      |  2 +-
 sound/core/pcm_native.c                       |  9 +--
 sound/soc/pxa/mmp-sspa.c                      |  2 +-
 sound/usb/usx2y/us122l.c                      |  4 +-
 sound/usb/usx2y/usX2Yhwdep.c                  |  2 +-
 sound/usb/usx2y/usx2yhwdeppcm.c               |  2 +-
 127 files changed, 300 insertions(+), 234 deletions(-)

-- 
2.39.1